tkme4ard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
good thing they let me practice with them

http://photobucket.com/albums/v251/tkme4ard/?multi=1&addtype=

7549b7c2.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

the second one is lovely :)
remember that when you use a light from the "top", you should always add more light on the girls face. Notice that the bigger girl's face is in shadow on the first one and that the very top of her head is bright. that is the face you should concentrate on, not the top of the head or hand in such a shots. those are my 2 cents :)

is that done with lighting equipment? How would I do that? This was very much a point and shoot kind of things. I knew her face was too dark but to get 2 giggly girls to look up and still have it look "natural" was hard LOL

You can use a reflector, and it can be as simple as a pice of cardboard covered in tin foil. You can also use fill flash to help with the shadows. I always use my flash outside for just that reason. You have beautiful girls!

do you think investing in a better flash is the next option to do? would the foil covered cardboard make them squint their eyes?

FTR I have a rebel digital SLR

A better flash would be a great investment. The built-in flash is not very powerful and it's awfully close to the lens axis...which means that subjects will look flat and often have red eyes.

An accessory flash will sit up on the hot shoe, higher above the lens. The further away you can move the flash, the better the lighting will look. You can also get a bounce & swivel unit that will allow you to bounce the flash for even better results.

You can look at flash units like the Canon 550 EX or the 580 EX, those are op of the line. There is a 440 or 420 that is less expensive but has less options. You could even get a regular automatic flash unit, it will work but won't use the camera's fancy metering like a Canon Unit will. Just make sure that any flash you get is compatible with your camera. Some units have a high trigger voltage that might fry your camera.

A better flash will make a huge difference, esp with portraits. I've shot with the 420 & the 550 and they are both great flashes ( I have the Canon 10D). The only reason I have both is that I shoot weddings and the 550 has a bit longer range.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back