More Questions about America - 5 days til we're there!

Meysha

still being picky Vicky
Reaction score
Website
vickywall.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Guys and Gals,!!
Got a few more questions for you about america.

It's insanely expensive for us to use our mobile phones roaming over there. So we were thinking of buying a mobile phone while we're over there - like a prepaid, no plan sorta thing. Would this be possible? My only thoughts are that becuase we're not citizens we can't get one if they do a credit check or something.

Also, Wireless Internet for the laptop while we're travelling in the car and stuff. Is it possible to get a one month connection?

Thanks so much for your help. I'm so excited!! We leave so sooon!!

Yes you can get a prepaid phone here, and you can do it with cash. So no worries about the no credit card thing.

Not too sure about the wireless Internet thing though.

dont come to ny.. crime has been outragious and im being serious. touraist are being mugged like you wouldn't believe

I hate mobiles, but have one nonetheless. I go with a pay-as-you-go plan with Virgin Mobile. You may be locked into paying three months in advance (I can't remember) but you can buy a cheap phone for ~$20-30 buck USD. MY plan is .......geeez, can't remember exactly, but I think it's $20 USD every three months top up. Check them out on virginusa.com. There's probably other as well.

But to answer your question, there should be something here for you guys to use as a disposable.

Somebody else will have to help you on the wireless laptop.

Where you gonna be? How long are you gonna stay?

Depending on where you are, you can probably find a stray wireless signal to use. I've come to learn that several hotels use the same username/password combo: guest/internet.

What brings you to our side of the pond?

For cell phones, either Virgin mobile, GoPhone from A&TT/Cingular, ant there are a few others.

Internet through a wireless company in the US is really not very cheap yet, and I do not think that any company offers a plan without a contract.

The good news is that Wi-Fi hotspots are very popular in the US almost every coffee shop, book store and hotel has free wi-fi. Hell Im leaching off someone else's Wi-Fi right now!

What part of the States will you be visiting?

Depending on where you are, you can probably find a stray wireless signal to use. I've come to learn that several hotels use the same username/password combo: guest/internet.

What brings you to our side of the pond?

Many hotels change the password every day, but just ask for it at the front desk, same goes for coffee shops etc.

Many hotels change the password every day, but just ask for it at the front desk, same goes for coffee shops etc.

You should come visit Phoenix, I provide free WiFi at my shop (coffee house). ;)

Enjoy the US Meysha! :)

You should come visit Phoenix, I provide free WiFi at my shop (coffee house). ;)

Hope to exploit your WiFi myself one day ;) Oh, and I want a free coffee! :p

When i'm in the US i just used my normal mobile phone, just very rarely. Its not like I need to call people all day every day and the money i'd have paid to buy a new phone over there would about equate to my phone bill anyways.

How long are you going for?

I am travelling over there again soon, its gonna kick ass!

xx

You own a coffee shop?!? I love coffee and drink a lot of it at work. It must be something about the west coast...

We're going for about 4.5 weeks.

I've just found out that the special wireless internet we have here in Australia isn't available in America yet. (yep, I'm just amazed we get something before you guys) hehehe. It's basically a new mobile network we have called NextG and it's a highspeed that you can hook into with your laptop. It's awesome, and relatively cheap. They have plans for $50 a month, i think. Anyway, that's not the point.

We're doing a cruise in the carribean then driving up to New York. Spending a few days there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back