More TRAINing

jdh313

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all,
I've been becoming more active in these forums lately, and I was hoping for more criticism. If you remember me from my other threads, I'm into photographing trains. Anyway, after it gets dark I've been trying some blur shots and could use some critiques.
Thank you in advance.

Thank you. And Yes, #1&3 are Norfolk Southern.
#2 is CSX, though.

nice effect! Find it strange how the last image, some how shows the graffitti fine preserved detail on the train, but still leaves the blur effect as well. Interesting.
Maybe like the first image a better, darker tones and tron stylings :)

I am a train lover, so I like it!
how in the heck can the graffiti be showing up???
it should be at least ghosting?
Nancy

Thank you for the kind words. To answer your question, the graffiti (as well as the reflective stripes) show up so well because the flash was fired at the beginning of the exposure. That is what creates the effect you see. I am quite happy with the results of that, and will without a doubt be keeping that in mind the next time I'm out.
One more photo (with a pretty cool effect as well)

And a snow shot

Any thoughts are appreciated, especially about composition, exposure, contrast, etc. Anything, the comment doesn't have to be train related, I'm open for any advice!

Just curious. What was your shutter speed in #1, #3,and #4 above? And I love #5.

The head on shot in the snow is fantastic. All of the men in my family going back 5 generations ending with my father worked on the B&O and C&O railroad. Irish immigrants with no education = hard labor.

The shutter speeds...
1. 1/4 second
2. 4 seconds
3. 3.6 seconds
4. 3.6 seconds
5. 1/640 seconds

Steve, that's really cool that your family all worked on the railroad. I have great respect for the men and women who work there!

Again, any advice, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

I really like your style. Im sure #7 could be edited a little better, it seems pretty dark.

Nice work though.

Thank you Parker, I'll take a look at 7 the next time I'm in Lightroom. Out of curiosity, what is it about my style that you like (this way I can keep doing it)?

The snow shot is excellent, and I like that one a lot more than the others.

Best,
Jake

#5 is the best for me -- moody & dramatic.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back