Most Popular Cameras on Flickr

MrLogic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
5dii.jpg

Flickr: Camera Finder

Yikes, I knew the 5D Mk II was popular, but I didn't know it was this popular. Can someone explain the ridiculous popularity of this camera to me? It may as well be an entry-level DSLR judging by those stats. Flickr.com is mostly amateur, after all.

i actually think its pretty cool! pretty interesting

1. How are you even supposed to make a decent read of that chart? Sure, there are pretty colored lines and a title that states "% of members", but no numbers to denote the percentages? Those lines could be anything...

and 2... What does it matter how many people on Flickr are using a 5D? Who gives a sh*t if they're amateur or pro... all it means is that someone had some extra cash to play with and that's what they bought... so what?

I fail to see how this is a crisis of any sort.

I'm seriously missing the point here... someone fill me in. :lol:

click on the link and your questions shall be answered, thusly:

"These graphs show the number of Flickr members who have uploaded at least one photo or video with a particular camera on a given day over the last year."

"The graphs are "normalized", which is a fancy way of saying that they automatically correct for the fact that more people join Flickr each day: the graph moving up or down indicates a change in the camera's popularity relative to all other cameras used by Flickr members."

"The graphs are only accurate to the extent that we can automatically detect the camera used to take the photo or shoot the video (about 2/3rds of the time). That is not usually possible with cameraphones, therefore they are under-represented."

As it clearly states, the graphs show percentages of Flickr users, not absolute numbers...looks like the Apple iPhone is a very popular camera for the users of the Flickr sharing site, as are Nikon D90 cameras, and the two mid-level, older Canon Rebel cameras....

Which is weird, because we all KNOW the best camera phone is a Nokia, right???

And yes, erose86, you are seriously missing the point. The percentage of Flickr users using each particular camera is a serious socio-political issue,of grave importance in the grand scheme of things.

i thought phones were phones :lmao:
since when did a phone with a camera feature become a camera?

i thought phones were phones :lmao:
since when did a phone with a camera feature become a camera?

The very second the first phone with a camera in it rolled off the assembly line.

Well, what can we learn from the data? Over the past year, the MOST-popular camera/phone model for Flickr users is the Apple iPhone. It has been #1, and still is #1 for the duration of the graphed period. Following that, the Canon XSi and XTi have been quite popular models among FLicker uploaders. The XSi has remained relatively consistent across the time period. The Nikon D90 has been on a steady, consistent upswing in popularity, as has been the Canon 5D Mark II. So, basically, among the hobbyist-type people and those who like to upload and share their photos via Flickr, the Canon Rebel models XSi and XTi and the Nikon D90 are the MOST-popular d-slr models among frequent uploaders, and the Canon 5D Mark II is also a very popular camera among Flickr users.

I think this information is pretty self-explanatory,and gives a snapshot (pardon the pun) of what the majority of frequent Flickr photo-uploaders are using. The Nikon D90 has been a HUGE, huge success for Nikon, as have the two Rebel models for Canon. The iPhone is the leading "smart phone" and the darling of many techies, yuppies, hipsters, college students, moms, dads, and geeks... The 5D Mark II is a very popular camera with serious photography hobbyists, Strobists, wedding shooters, and regular folks who really like photography.

If you were in the marketing and R&D department of a camera-making company, you might think that this data was very loaded with insights,and might try thinking for a few minutes about what the data is telling you, rather than whining about how useless it is...or asking, "Is this gonna' be on the test?":lol:

To me the data says that Canon is 3 times as good as Nikon :)

*flees*

the freak regarding the 5D Mk II is 90% based on its video capabilities from what ive seen and what has been most publicized/marketed/touted about it...

1. How are you even supposed to make a decent read of that chart? Sure, there are pretty colored lines and a title that states "% of members", but no numbers to denote the percentages? Those lines could be anything...

and 2... What does it matter how many people on Flickr are using a 5D? Who gives a sh*t if they're amateur or pro... all it means is that someone had some extra cash to play with and that's what they bought... so what?

I fail to see how this is a crisis of any sort.

I'm seriously missing the point here... someone fill me in. :lol:

Hey!!!
Lets not forget your recent post about not posting when you are PMSing...:lmao:

Come on the guy's trying to entertain us with somethin interesting, lets appreciate it.

Well, what can we learn from the data? Over the past year, the MOST-popular camera/phone model for Flickr users is the Apple iPhone. It has been #1, and still is #1 for the duration of the graphed period. Following that, the Canon XSi and XTi have been quite popular models among FLicker uploaders. The XSi has remained relatively consistent across the time period. The Nikon D90 has been on a steady, consistent upswing in popularity, as has been the Canon 5D Mark II. So, basically, among the hobbyist-type people and those who like to upload and share their photos via Flickr, the Canon Rebel models XSi and XTi and the Nikon D90 are the MOST-popular d-slr models among frequent uploaders, and the Canon 5D Mark II is also a very popular camera among Flickr users.

I think this information is pretty self-explanatory,and gives a snapshot (pardon the pun) of what the majority of frequent Flickr photo-uploaders are using. The Nikon D90 has been a HUGE, huge success for Nikon, as have the two Rebel models for Canon. The iPhone is the leading "smart phone" and the darling of many techies, yuppies, hipsters, college students, moms, dads, and geeks... The 5D Mark II is a very popular camera with serious photography hobbyists, Strobists, wedding shooters, and regular folks who really like photography.

If you were in the marketing and R&D department of a camera-making company, you might think that this data was very loaded with insights,and might try thinking for a few minutes about what the data is telling you, rather than whining about how useless it is...or asking, "Is this gonna' be on the test?":lol:

Either I'm mis-interpreting what the OP meant by "Can someone explain the ridiculous popularity of this camera to me? It may as well be an entry-level DSLR judging by those stats. Flickr.com is mostly amateur, after all.", or you, sir, are completely missing what I'm saying. :lol:

I'm not really in the mood to debate semantics, however, so I don't really care anymore.

I *am* curious, however, why it is, I have seemingly become a new target for your special brand of sarcasm lately? Have you grown tired of VI? Or have I stepped on your toes, unknowingly, at some point?

Maybe it's because, as you said in another thread here on TPF, that you are in the midst of PMS today,and yer' a little bit, um....grumpy??? http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/digital-discussion-q/220678-super-interesting.html#post2045944

"-I have nothing NICE to say due to extreme PMS (as is the case now )"'

There really is nothing sarcastic about my remarks or comments: I am not and was not trying to be sarcastic in any way. I am stating my point of view about the data, in response to your attitudinal responses. Give it a week,and maybe you'd read it differently.

"http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/digital-discussion-q/220678-super-interesting.html#post2045944

"-I have nothing NICE to say due to extreme PMS (as is the case now )""

What a tool with a 5D Mark II. I mean so mainstram, how uncool.

You should make yourself cool and trending again by selling it to me for $50.......

:lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back