Most Recent Smoke Extravaganza.

Markw

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.outsidetherainbow.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I tried it once more two days ago and this was my favorite. There are a few more I like that I may post in a bit..but just this for now. C&C if youd like.

Day14JustLikeaWavingFlag.jpg

Mark

I love it. Can you tell your setup and how you did it?

I would also like to know your setup.
Please?
:sexywink:

Sure, no problem. It was actually shot at my kitchen table. Are you ready for the most rigged system ever? Here it comes.

Stack cereal boxes ontop table until it is high enough so that when you stick the bottom of the incense through, the tip of it just comes to the bottom of the black material (In this case, a shirt) you hung up about 2' behind it. To the back left of the incense will be an SB-600, pointing toward the right of the camera with a card taped on the side that is closest to the background. To the direct right of the smoke, have a lamp. Any kind of lamp to illuminate the the smoke for focusing. I will try to make a diagram of it soon.

Hope this helped, though.
Mark

do you have to have 2 lights?

Is the flash necessary?
I'm wanting to try this tonight, but all I've got is the onboard pop up and an old Vivitar that I have no idea how to use well...

Is the flash necessary?
I'm wanting to try this tonight, but all I've got is the onboard pop up and an old Vivitar that I have no idea how to use well...

I did some shots right after this... my one strobe was too much so i only used my one... i had the same set up but only hat the flash (not the lamp) but a lamp where the flash is should work. This is one i did here Sorry im to lazy to ember it right now

That turned out very nice. Im not a huge fan of non-realistic colors for the smoke, but to each his own, right? :wink:

No, the lamp isnt necessarily necessary. I use the lamp because I have to turn the room lights off to keep light off the black background and the lamp illuminates the smoke in the dark so I can see to focus. The flash is just what I like to use to illuminate the smoke and ensure that the shutter speed is where I need it. It works out quite nicely for me and I don't have to worry about the WB being off.

Thanks all. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. All comments are still welcome as well :mrgreen:
Mark

This is wrong. The cereal boxes are the line above the one that is currently labeled. The line labeled "cereal boxes" is actually the kitchen table.

Sorry.
Mark

Score! Im not a huge fan of that particular crop, or all the fake colors, but definately a nice go at it!

Mark

Most reactions

Back