Mother and Baby Red Headed Woodpecker

quinte

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Saw this baby woodpecker. Was able to get a few shots, and the mother finally showed up briefly with some food for babe.
DSC_5206_HDR-Version2.jpg

I believe this may be a pileated woodpecker. Very cool to not only have the opportunity to see them, but get some shots. It nests in large standing dead trees, which is also captured in your image. Very nice!

Nice shot, thanks for sharing. Kayak is correct, this is a Pileated Woodpecker. Red-headed Woodpeckers have a completely red head, thus the name and they are smaller than a pileated. The Pileated Woodpecker is the largest woodpecker in North America and is recognizable by the large, tapering, red crest on its head.

Whether its birds or kids, as soon as momma or pappy gets home they are standing at the door with their mouths open waiting to get fed. Nice shot. Dont get much of a chance to see babies like this.

Nicely done, thanks for sharing

Tom

:thumbup:Thanks for the species correction! I went back the next day and the next and never saw them again. I felt fortunate to see them. They have a very distinct, cool, call also.

Most reactions

Back