Mother telling me to forget photography

Starskream666

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So i'm 20 next month and my mum just had 'that talk' with me about how i need to think about a career now and pay rent, which is understandable. I was planning on doing a 2 year photography course at college, but she says i won't get a career from it so theres no point and i should just look for a full time ICT sort of job and forget about my hobbies. I feel like my life is over and im being forced into becoming a robot working for the man in something i don't want to do forever but i know this is what most people do and i shouldnt complain, just want peoples thoughts on what i should do?

I had a plan that i could do the course and get a part time job aswell ( the course is 4 days a week )

I was thinking today, what would I do if my son told me he wanted to go to school for photography.

I FULLY agree with your mother.

So i'm 20 next month and my mum just had 'that talk' with me about how i need to think about a career now and pay rent, which is understandable. I was planning on doing a 2 year photography course at college, but she says i won't get a career from it so theres no point and i should just look for a full time ICT sort of job and forget about my hobbies. I feel like my life is over and im being forced into becoming a robot working for the man in something i don't want to do forever but i know this is what most people do and i shouldnt complain, just want peoples thoughts on what i should do?

I had a plan that i could do the course and get a part time job aswell ( the course is 4 days a week )

Your over 18, DO WHATEVER THE FRICK YOU WANT!!!!

How long have you been actively into photography as a hobby? A few years? 10 years? If you're that far in, you might as well just bite the bullet and go for it. If it's only been a few months... it could be a phase and I can understand your mom's concern.

Can you make a career in photography? Yes. Is it going to be easy? No. Would I waste my money on a college course for it? Not a chance. You can learn all you need to know online, from places like this, and a few photography blogs.

Go to school for something besides photography. A business degree would be your best bet, if you want to make it as a full time photographer. While you're going to school, teach yourself photography on your own time.

That's what I would do if I planned on trying to make it as a full time pro. Actually, this was my plan about a year ago. Now I'm working towards being an EMT or a paid Firefighter though, and just plan on running a photography business on the side.

Follow your dream. Have a man-to-mum talk with her, and make her understand that YOU are the one who has to live your life. Try and stay calm. This is a talk that ought to last 45 minutes to an hour. Try having it at a restaurant or other public place, so neither of you will feel like you can make a scene. Be firm in your convictions, but do not yell or raise your voice. Remain calm. Let her talk, and don't interrupt. Be polite, but firm. When she tells you what you "ought to do", say something like, "Yes Mum, I know that's how you feel about it, but I feel differently." The more polite you are, and the more calm, the harder and harder it will be for her to "argue" with you. If you start yelling and pushing back at her, it'll be easy for her to escalate the discussion right into uselessness; if you're very calm, it's **exceptionally hard** for people to "argue' with you. Good luck.

Get a stable career first and take photography as a hobby. Who said freelance photography isn't photography? By then you can do whatever you want and buy more lens or whatever..

Few people make a decent living from photography today. Degree or not won't make any difference as most jobs are portfolio based rather than degree based. If you really want to give it a go, try and get yourself a job as an assistant and learn this way but it don't pay sh*t. At least it doesn't here in France so I doubt it does in the UK. Mine get minimum wage but, as they've told me themselves, at least they are having some fun and it's not some sh*tty job in a factory...

Slightly different scenario... but my wife was not very supportive. Buying DSLR was meant to take photos of the kids. Wasnt meant for me to go crazy with camera gear and make money on the side. But that has changed when she started seeing that I am actually pretty decent and actually have a chance of being successful in the biz(especially after I booked a couple of non low budget weddings).

But, there are a lot of people like me in your area. I didnt go to school for photography. All I am saying is, you have to proof something to earn respect/trust from your mom. But it is always a good idea to have a back up plan. If you love photography, you can always do it as a hobby that can potentially turn in to a career. But if you show your mom that you really have potential, there is no doubt in my mind that she will be more supportive.

Get a stable career first and take photography as a hobby. Who said freelance photography isn't photography? By then you can do whatever you want and buy more lens or whatever..
---- Said the homeless boy.

Hahhaha.. I had to.

Thanks for the replies, guys. This is so hard, money is tight and i need to help out but i don't want to waste my creative side anymore and just wake up one day retired sat in my garden thinking i didn't do **** with life because i didn't take a chance.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back