Mother telling me to forget photography

Go for it! Even though money is tight and you have financial obligations, they will only grow with time. When I was your age I found out I was going to be a dad, so that kind of limited my decisions. You should go for it and learn what you can. Even if this doesn't pan out and become a full-fledged career at least you can say that you went for it. You can find some odd and end jobs to get you through for a couple of years.

while the odds of actually making a profitable career from art or photography in general is slim I can guarantee that if you don't you will always wonder "what if"

As a young man I was accepted to Parsons, a leading school of design, but my Father hated the idea and that was that.

You are young and like a river life changes course many times. Follow your heart but keep your head.

Trying to make a living as a photographer in this economy in a market already saturated with professional and weekend warrior photographers? I understand, money isn't everything. But going to school for photography won't make you anymore money than going it alone.

My advice? Go to school for almost anything but photography, save up a bit to buy yourself a good used DSLR, and make it a hobby. If you decide that you still want to go pro, go for it! But only after you've gotten yourself a backup plan (also know as a degree in something that can get you a job).

I have a D80 and have submitted a few photos here already.
The reason i wanted to go to college to do it was to learn everything about it with all the basics, and knowing how to use studio lighting and stuff like that.

I have a D80 and have submitted a few photos here already.
The reason i wanted to go to college to do it was to learn everything about it with all the basics, and knowing how to use studio lighting and stuff like that.

Seriously, there are so many people on here that can help you with that, or direct you to a link, or to google something. Everything you need to know is here, or on the net.

You've mentioned several times about not wanting to waste your "creative" side. How many art classes have you taken? What other "creative" activities interest you? How has your creative talent been nurtured?

No matter what career path you take, even if it does not flex your creative muscles, you always can have hobbies to satisfy your creativity. Getting a job, or living off your own creativity is difficult. To compete with other successful artist, no matter what field, you pretty much have to be the best of the best to make a decent living. As others have said, you need to learn as much about business, marketing, and accounting as you can. Trust me.

Even if you go the graphic design route, you will be faced with a rude awakening, that through the beginning years of your career, you won't be flexing your creativity. You will be doing grunt work, and the stuff others tell you to do. Again, until you prove yourself to be top of the class, you will be a lacky, like any other job.

I am not trying to disuade you from following your dream. I want you to think realistically. How talented are you? Who are you using as a gauge?
If you think you have the right stuff, go for it. Just remember it will take time before you really come into your own, and can really reap the rewards.

My parents didn't want me to major in Jewelery/Metals. They feared I would never make a living. Honestly, neither of us knew what the work field was like. They supported me though. 23 years ago I started my first bench jewelers job (lacky). I made $5 an hour. My second job, $5.50/hr. Third job $8.50/hr. Fourth job $11/hr. I hated what I did. It was mostly jewelery repair, and nothing creative. But over the years my practical skills grew, and my education proved beneficial. I was better than nearly all the benchworkers around. I had applicable traditional skills these other people didn't have. Word got around, that jobs other jewelers wouldn't touch, I could do. I became a commodity. Sooo... 21 years after leaving school, I finally started my own business. I finally am making a very comfortable living. I finally love what I do again, and am still getting better with every job I do. You never stop learning.

What's missing from my education is real business skills, and everything associated with it. Granted, I know the basic business concepts, and can figure out what I need to do. The business side isn't hard, but it can be frustrating. There is more to it than I thought. So, my advice to you is really to at least get some business understanding under your belt WHILE you focus on photography.

I also highly reccomend studying art. While so many people will tell you that you can learn photography on your own, they do not mention studying art. Doing so will put yourself head and shoulders above all the other facebook photographers that have other jobs, bought a camera and decided to start a business, because photography is easy, and they have been overcome by the "passions".

Good luck to you whatever path you take. But dont EVER think that if you end up with a boring desk job, that you can't still create. Jobs support hobbies. Hobbies bring happiness to your life. Sometimes your hobby can become your job. :)

When you're young, nothing is impossible, and the amount of energy you can throw at any activity is very impressive. However, business requires prioritization, making hard choices, NOT doing what you want to do but what you HAVE to do. Pretty much all trades (photography or carpentry, or catering, or writing) spend a lot of time (maybe more than 50% of the working time) marketing, seeing prospects, getting told no, seeing more prospects... about 10-20% of the time is production work, while the rest is record-keeping, accounting, customer management, etc. And in the 10-20% of the time tht you're doing your trade, you usually will be doing what the paying customer wants done, not necessarily what you want to do. It's my observation that very few young people start businesses that are ultimately successful - and that is just because there are a lot of life skills that are necessary to make a business function. Those life skill take time to acquire.

edit: Dang it, David - you type faster than I do! And very good advice as well, I might add...

Seriously, there are so many people on here that can help you with that, or direct you to a link, or to google something. Everything you need to know is here, or on the net.

Same for most subjects - heck almost everything barring some of the most cutting edge advanced sciences are right there in books to be read. One can get a grounding in theory in almost anything if one has the means and (most importantly the will) to research the topic.
The key is having the will and the motivation to be prepared to do that research and to self learn; but far far more importantly (and far harder to plan) is to maintain that enthusiasm and on that score only you can best guess if you'll maintain that.

As for if you should or shouldn't do it I look at it like this -- in life everyone wants to tell you which way to go -- however no matter if you follow their advice or follow your own the result is the same - you have to live that life. Thus I'd say go for what you feel is going to bring you the feeling of the most worth in life whilst also supporting the lifestyle and family that you have/might have/hope to have.
Good solid vocational courses are always a good option as they give a good rounded skill that is oft able to be used; however even they do not give certainty of employment. Furthermore there is no point slaving every day of ones life to live till retirement because when you get there you'll be burnt out too far to enjoy it.

Can you make photography work? Who knows - you'll have to put in the research to find out if you can; business models (not just working for yourself, you can always work within an organisation/company); costs; finances; key skills in the area of interest (be that photography, building or computing).

In the end you've got to make this choice yourself; all you can take from others is not the answer, but their reasoning behind their answers. Add those reasons together along with your own, keep your mind open and evaluate if you can or cannot make this work.

As a final reminder - you've got to live your life - might as well aim to make it a fun one :)

ya, not sure i can really add anything that hasnt been said. except the one thing i've heard more than anything over the years is that you don't need to know photography to run a photography business. but you do need to know business to succeed in one. my personal thought, if you are still living at home and your twenty and unemployed i'd say your quite lucky your parents havent thrown you out yet. they must love you dearly. (which is great!) but if my kid was 20 and still at home, it's because she's still in school or working and wants to save money to pursue other goals. she has dreams and aspirations, just like you, and she's incredibly creative, everyday i encourage them to tap into that creativity, but she also realizes nothing is free. just my 2 cents

Mmm! What a contrast! My mother got me into photography at the age of 11. My home has a 90 foot balcony overlooking a magnificent lake view in almost 180 degrees with a 150 foot waterfront.

I have not exactly been suffering poverty resulting from my choice of a multi-media career.

skieur

If I were in your shoes I would ask her why she did such a poor job as a parent while raising you to not help you learn and develop the life skills to do or be anything you choose. Everyone has certain natural talents. Me, I am a believer in nurture not nature. Unless you have a particular physical or metal disability that precludes your ability to perform a particular task or set of tasks, you can be anything you choose. It take, dedication, education, practice and good ole fashion hard work to achieve any goal in life. If you want it bad enough you can accomplish it. Problem most people have is not knowing how much they really want something.

I'm sure there are professional photographers in your area. Go out and talk to them. If you can afford it, invite them to your local Starbucks for a cup and a snack (your treat). Then, once you've got them there, make them earn your generosity! Find out how they got where they are today. Did they go to photography school like you want to do, or did they do a business program like many here have suggested? Or did they do an apprenticeship with another established photographer? Do they make a good living at what they are doing, or are they barely getting by? What is it costing them to stay in business? What are the most important characteristics you need in order to be successful? What other types of jobs might give you the same satisfaction you think you'll get as a free-lance photographer? Would they do it again? Why?

You are doing some of this here, but it's very hit-or-miss. Doing so locally will allow you dig deeper, and allow the people you talk to to get to know you so they can tailor their answers to your background. They might even be willing to look at some of your work and tell you whether or not you have a chance.

Only after you've completed this exercise will you have the understanding of what you're trying to accomplish to determine if it's worth it to you. And as an added benefit, if you do decide to continue down this road you'll have the data you'll need to convince your mom that your choice is valid.

(Personally, I'd go with the people that are suggesting you do something like a business degree while developing your photography on the side - through school clubs and the like.)

(And as a semi-unrelated side note - working for 'the man' or in a non-artistic field doesn't necessarily equate with not being creative. I'm an engineer, and my job requires me to be creative every day. I'm not doing anything artistic, but it's just as creative as if I was.)

In the end, the choice is yours. Right now you need to get a job and help the family out if you are living under mom's roof.

What you do with your life after you move out is your choice, but it's hard choose a career with no planning.

Most reactions

Back