Mother telling me to forget photography

There is no guarantee that any training you get today will result in a career for life, including ICT.

But today, there are far fewer opportunities for making photography a career. You can learn to do photography on your own, but it is much harder to learn the business skills needed to make a living doing photography, which basically means being self-employed.

So I would suggest you look at taking business classes if you hope for a career as a photographer. You'll need to know how to do marketing, promotion, salesmanship, client relations, cost control, accounting, planning, etc.

No doubt, there are and will continue to be people who make a living doing photography, but for many it will be more about motivation, being in the right place at the right time, and getting the right breaks.

Are you currently in school? Do you have a job?

c.cloudwalker What's an ICT job, by the way?

By ICT job i mean with my qualifications/knowledge i'd probably just become an IT Technician or Data inputter. I was studying software development but couldn't take the sting of my soul being drained so found photography.

I say do something else, something you will make money with and someting a little bit more stable. Somthing you like of course. Remember, photography is expensive and if you dont have the money to buy gear and stuff you wont make it any way and wont have food on the table either.

Thanks for the replies, guys. This is so hard, money is tight and i need to help out but i don't want to waste my creative side anymore and just wake up one day retired sat in my garden thinking i didn't do **** with life because i didn't take a chance.

Or you could be sitting in someone else's garden eating their beans because you don't have enough money for food because you followed your dream. Take a business class first so at least if you do follow your nose, ugh I mean dream, then you will know how to actually run your business. Then take a photography class if your still interested.

It's is INCREDIBLY hard to make a living by just being a photographer and school or no school the client isn't going to care (most of them anyway) as long as your pictures are good. I just think photography school is a waste of money. Sincerely sorry if I offend anyone.

The school isn't going to cost me anything though, this is basically the last year that i could get it for free.

I would go to college for a degree such as engineer or business. You mom thinks that you are an adult and should support the family. There is nothing wrong. I am totally agree with that. You can work and study, make some money for your education. A college degree will give you a good enough job to support your hobby. Then, you can take whatever class you want, even a double major on photography.
In college you will find a lot of fun in student clubs (photography or others). And you will have lots of chance to practice your photography skill. BTW, what is ICT job?

If photography doesn't pay the bills, get a job that does. Shoot the photos you want in your free time. You'll notice even most pros have or had jobs for a long time.

c.cloudwalker What's an ICT job, by the way?

By ICT job i mean with my qualifications/knowledge i'd probably just become an IT Technician or Data inputter. I was studying software development but couldn't take the sting of my soul being drained so found photography.

I would suggest going for IT job first with a minor in graphics design and business. You could even get a job as a retoucher/finisher while you get better at the photography end of the deal.

But seriously its up to you to figure out what you want to do. Live in a trash can if ya want!

oscar_the_grouch_from_sesame_street.png

The school isn't going to cost me anything though, this is basically the last year that i could get it for free.

FOR FREE!!!! You better take advantage of that. There's people that would kill for that.

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be photogs
Don't let 'em choose Nikons and Canons as much
Make 'em be doctors and lawyers and such

Mamas, don't let your babies grow up to be photogs
They'll never be happy with the gear that they own
Even with they're out shooting alone.

Photogs ain't easy to love and holding them's hard
They'd rather buy filters and an 8g memory card
And a second battery for that new grip.

Last edited:
I take it UK schools are free like they are in France but do you have a camera and lenses or, are those free too?

If you still have a go at free school, take advantage of it but try and do it in something that interests you. Besides photo that is :) But then, if it's like here, 2 years of school will not get you any more than minimum wage so after your school, do whatever you want.

Just one way of looking at it.

If you want your parents to let you follow your dream.... research it, do a presentation or a proposal, just as if you were a business person trying to get exec's to agree with a new idea. Give them stats and options...it's all on the net for all to find! Believe me, this skill will come in handy when you start your career anyway. Parents love it when their fears are addressed and they can see substantial thought and planning. ...Just a thought!;)

I would go to uni, or something like that. Have a great time, in Leeds, or Sheffield, or wherever. Great cities, great universities. Then, in the evenings when you're not out having a great time with your uni mates, do a few short courses at college. Maybe even the universities have photography groups, and courses you can tag along to?
Then, join a camera club, stick around on here, and learn all you can from people that do this all the time.

If your uni course is business, or something technical, it will help you in establishing yourself in a photographic business later on. But you have to make the decision...but don't dismiss your mum's ideas just because they are your mum's ideas. She may actually be right. :)

Most reactions

Back