Motocross C&C

DBA

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First off I'm not a professional, just a bloke with an over priced camera (D5100). Took some pictures at a local mx race (wasn't riding that day) and realized that I have a lot of room for improvement. :lmao:

Anyways here are a couple of the decent ones (IMHO).

Shot with a Nikon D5100 and a 55-200 lens.

$DSC_0087.jpg

$DSC_0159.jpg

$DSC_0250.jpg

Pretty impressed that this came out as good as it did, this guy was flying (Pro/am rider).

$DSC_0818.jpg

$DSC_0838.jpg

I think that my biggest problem (of many) is focus. For example these would've been pretty sick if the rider would've actually been in focus.

$DSC_0157.jpg

$DSC_0932.jpg

Choose the background you want to shoot against, shoot from an angle where the light is in your favor.
On a cloudy dull day like this, try just a bit of fill flash.
Levels adjustment would give these more pop and color.

Looks like fun!

I am the same as you, just some idiot with a high dollar camera, but you have some nice images.

I really like image #2 (bike #737). Try not to get all your subjects center framed in the image. #2 image does this nicely.

Choose the background you want to shoot against, shoot from an angle where the light is in your favor.
On a cloudy dull day like this, try just a bit of fill flash.
Levels adjustment would give these more pop and color.

Looks like fun!
Now that I know where some of the good spots are I plan on hunkering down and seeing what I can do.
I am the same as you, just some idiot with a high dollar camera, but you have some nice images.

I really like image #2 (bike #737). Try not to get all your subjects center framed in the image. #2 image does this nicely.
Thanks. :thumbup:

A lot of that is thanks to my cropping.

How are these?

$DSC_0609.jpg

$DSC_0616.jpg

$DSC_0624.jpg

$DSC_0760.jpg

I dont know how easy (or impossible) it would be with MX, but I would like to feel a bit more motion on the shots (slower speed). I think the images are not bad, but the speed kind of froze everything in place; I would like to see the wheels and dirt show a bit more movement... Not a lot (or everything will be blurred), but just a tad. Anyway, these are not bad as they are (this is more a personal taste thing), so good job anyway!

I dont know how easy (or impossible) it would be with MX, but I would like to feel a bit more motion on the shots (slower speed). I think the images are not bad, but the speed kind of froze everything in place; I would like to see the wheels and dirt show a bit more movement... Not a lot (or everything will be blurred), but just a tad. Anyway, these are not bad as they are (this is more a personal taste thing), so good job anyway!
Yeah I see what you mean. Slowing the shutter down a tad would accomplish this right?
#2 is fantastic. Nice shots
Thanks.

Apart from the focus issue and a couple of the backgrounds, I like these, I think the framing works well. Pretty good bunch. Get that focus down and you'll be producing some pretty nice images.

Yeah I see what you mean. Slowing the shutter down a tad would accomplish this right?

Yup. What you can do is start the first lap at a fast speed (such as what you used), and then each lap reduce the speed a little bit. That way, you get good shots out of the way, and you can risk it a bit more on each successive lap. Also, remember to pan if the bikes are running side to side.

Was at Redbud MX today and spent pretty much all day trying out different settings/techniques I read/found on here. Granted most shots ended up being crap, however by the end of the day my ratio was getting much better. The weather was driving me nuts though, had everything from heavy rain, overcast, cloudy, and direct sunlight.

Flipped through them very quickly, here are a couple that stood out.

$DSC_0058.jpg

$DSC_0561.jpg

$Williams_949.jpg

Last edited:
I like them! I am beer budgeted Pre-Professional (LMAO)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back