movie mode and shutter speed?

.......Sorry I don't understand you.

If you can only display 30 frames per second due to the limitations of your video card, monitor, etc. it cannot display 60 frames per second. It has to cut out every other frame. So it doesn't matter if you shot the video at 60 fps or 100,000,000,000 fps, you'll still only see 30 frames each second.
Frame rate has nothing to do with shutter speed. Each of the 30 frames are shot at 1/60th of a second.

My first DSLR was a T4i and being new the manual was not in-depth. I bought a user guide that helped, but it didn't cover video. I think what Alan was referring to was shutter priority.

The short answer to your question:
If you are new to a DSLR then just shoot in Auto for now. Your camera has 1080p 30fps or 720p 60fps. Depending on your output and needs select which one you prefer.

The long answer:
The general rule is to double your frame rate for the shutter speed. I generally shoot video at 200 shutter speed.

If I have the camera on a tripod shooting a scene interview then I set my shutter speed at 200, the aperture at what I want to be in focus...say 3 people 4.5 or so...and then adjust my ISO. I also set my focus and then switch the lens to Manual. Otherwise the camera will hunt and focus and hunt and focus with the person's movement.

If shooting run and gun type then I set my shutter speed, then the aperture, and lastly ISO at Auto. If you are going for shallow DOF then you will need a variable filter to be able to keep the aperture open wider. I don't use filters and have let my shutter speed on video go 600 or so. It depends on what you are doing. Mine is for personal use and not professional. Keep in mind if you are doing an interview outside and a cloud goes over that will make your Auto ISO change.

Another note: If you shoot 1080p video and 720p video and want to combine then you will need to use the 720p settings for your video editor and scale down the 1080p. Depending on your computer set up this may not be ideal. Take some test video and experiment.

I still shoot video in Full Auto and happy with the results. When I first started shooting video with a DSLR I stressed too much over the details. It is good to know the basics and how stuff works. Have fun & happy editing!

I agree for general amateur use, the auto setting is probably good enough. Until I discovered I could set the shutter speed, I shot video in auto and never noticed a problem. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :)

Frame rate has nothing to do with shutter speed. Each of the 30 frames are shot at 1/60th of a second.

You can't shoot video with a shutter speed longer than the frame rate. IE, you can't shoot 30 fps and have a 1/10 sec shutter speed.

You can't shoot video with a shutter speed longer than the frame rate. IE, you can't shoot 30 fps and have a 1/10 sec shutter speed.

It's recommended to set shutter speed to twice the frame rate. So 30 frames, set shutter to 1/60th. 60 frames, set shutter speed to 1/125.

It's recommended to set shutter speed to twice the frame rate. So 30 frames, set shutter to 1/60th. 60 frames, set shutter speed to 1/125.

Alan,

So, if my camera is set to auto exposure, and my frame rate is 30fps, will the camera automatically shoot at 1/60th shutter speed, or will it vary depending on the lighting situation?

Steve Thomas

.......Sorry I don't understand you.

If you can only display 30 frames per second due to the limitations of your video card, monitor, etc. it cannot display 60 frames per second. It has to cut out every other frame. So it doesn't matter if you shot the video at 60 fps or 100,000,000,000 fps, you'll still only see 30 frames each second.
Just how old is your GPU and monitor :O

Most reactions

New Topics

Back