movie mode and shutter speed?

stevet1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
If I set my camera to movie mode, does that override the camera shutter speed?

Can you even adjust the camera shutter speed if you are in movie mode?

Steve Thomas

Steve: You didn't mention your camera. I have a Sony RX100iv 1" P&S with 4K and other movie resolutions. When I turned the dial to Movie Mode from one of the still modes (P A S etc.) , I select Shutter Mode rather than Auto movie mode and then set the shutter speed for twice the p rate. For example, if I'm shooting 4K 30p (30 frames per second), I set the shutter at 1/60. If I'm shooting 1080 60p, I set the shutter for 1/120. I can also select Aperture movie mode, auto movie mode, etc. But I don't use those modes so wouldn't know what to tell you on how to use them and when. Alan.

Steve: You didn't mention your camera. I have a Sony RX100iv 1" P&S with 4K and other movie resolutions. When I turned the dial to Movie Mode from one of the still modes (P A S etc.) , I select Shutter Mode rather than Auto movie mode and then set the shutter speed for twice the p rate. For example, if I'm shooting 4K 30p (30 frames per second), I set the shutter at 1/60. If I'm shooting 1080 60p, I set the shutter for 1/120. I can also select Aperture movie mode, auto movie mode, etc. But I don't use those modes so wouldn't know what to tell you on how to use them and when. Alan.

Alan,

Thanks. I'm using a Canon Rebel T6, so I'm not even sure it has a Shutter mode. I'll have to look. I know the max fps is 30.
PS: I went through the menu tabs and didn't see a "Shutter mode" setting.

Steve Thomas

I would think that the shutter is set utomatically to the correct setting for movies. The shutter setting for stills is ignored. But I'm not familiar with your camera. Isn't there a manual?

Frame rate and shutter speed are not the same.
For example: Shooting a fast moving ball.

If you shoot at 30 frames per second at 1/2000 shutter speed, you may see a sharp ball in every frames. However, if you shoot at 30 frames per second at 1/300 shutter speed, the ball in each frame may be blurred out.

Last edited:
Setting the shutter speed to double the frame rate was the recommended settings that I read about. It puts the scene movement in a way that seems most natural so you don't get staccato type stuff at highest rates nor too mushy looks st lower rates.

Reactions: pez
Setting the shutter speed to double the frame rate was the recommended settings that I read about. It puts the scene movement in a way that seems most natural so you don't get staccato type stuff at highest rates nor too mushy looks st lower rates.

Shooting at 60 fps does smooth things out and gives you a 'cinematic' appearance. But you have to slow the playback. In other words, if you record 10 seconds of video at 60 fps, you edit it in post to stretch it out to 20 seconds.

Shooting at 60 fps does smooth things out and gives you a 'cinematic' appearance. But you have to slow the playback. In other words, if you record 10 seconds of video at 60 fps, you edit it in post to stretch it out to 20 seconds.
That's slow motion. What do you do if you don't want that?

Shooting at more than 30 fps does no good if the best you can do during playback is 30 fps. Playing a 60fps video using a 30fps refresh rate does no good... the video card will only process every other frame. In effect.... 30 fps.

Shooting at more than 30 fps does no good if the best you can do during playback is 30 fps. Playing a 60fps video using a 30fps refresh rate does no good... the video card will only process every other frame. In effect.... 30 fps.
Sorry I don't understand you.

I would think that the shutter is set utomatically to the correct setting for movies. The shutter setting for stills is ignored. But I'm not familiar with your camera. Isn't there a manual?

Alan,

Yes, there's a manual, but between you and I, Canon's manual for this camera is probably the worst manual of any kind I ever encountered anywhere for any thing. There are settings for the camera that are not even covered in the manual. I think the font size for the printed version is about a 6, or maybe it's a 4, I'm not sure.
*grin*

Steve Thomas

My first DSLR was a T4i and being new the manual was not in-depth. I bought a user guide that helped, but it didn't cover video. I think what Alan was referring to was shutter priority.

The short answer to your question:
If you are new to a DSLR then just shoot in Auto for now. Your camera has 1080p 30fps or 720p 60fps. Depending on your output and needs select which one you prefer.

The long answer:
The general rule is to double your frame rate for the shutter speed. I generally shoot video at 200 shutter speed.

If I have the camera on a tripod shooting a scene interview then I set my shutter speed at 200, the aperture at what I want to be in focus...say 3 people 4.5 or so...and then adjust my ISO. I also set my focus and then switch the lens to Manual. Otherwise the camera will hunt and focus and hunt and focus with the person's movement.

If shooting run and gun type then I set my shutter speed, then the aperture, and lastly ISO at Auto. If you are going for shallow DOF then you will need a variable filter to be able to keep the aperture open wider. I don't use filters and have let my shutter speed on video go 600 or so. It depends on what you are doing. Mine is for personal use and not professional. Keep in mind if you are doing an interview outside and a cloud goes over that will make your Auto ISO change.

Another note: If you shoot 1080p video and 720p video and want to combine then you will need to use the 720p settings for your video editor and scale down the 1080p. Depending on your computer set up this may not be ideal. Take some test video and experiment.

I still shoot video in Full Auto and happy with the results. When I first started shooting video with a DSLR I stressed too much over the details. It is good to know the basics and how stuff works. Have fun & happy editing!

.......Sorry I don't understand you.

If you can only display 30 frames per second due to the limitations of your video card, monitor, etc. it cannot display 60 frames per second. It has to cut out every other frame. So it doesn't matter if you shot the video at 60 fps or 100,000,000,000 fps, you'll still only see 30 frames each second.

Most reactions

Back