Movin On Up, and Could Use Some Advice...

Reaction score
Website
www.carolinedixey.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's been some time since I posted on here, but I haven't been involved in the internet the same way I was three years ago. Anyway, for the past couple years, I've been shooting freelance, but very lax freelance. I was able to make a [very] modest living taking photos in clubs and bars, but have recently decided to move on with my career to bigger and better things.

Like I said, I mostly do event photography, and I am aware of what I should/feel comfortable charging for that, but I am more unsure of a recent job I had. I was asked by a nationally published magazine to document an event they sponsor monthly, so I gave a rate as I usually do: one price for my time, and one price for the images, for one total price. (with permission to use the photos for internal use only) I received an email today asking about the full rights to the photos, and pricing, (for 4 images) and I have no idea what to say, or even where to look to find out more info.

I know that I need to read more, and figure out more about licensing, but I'm having no luck online, and don't know what books to look up besides the few I found from past threads. (business and legal forms for photographers, Professional Business practices for Photographers, A digital photographer's guide to Model Releases) I don't expect to get the answers handed to me on a sliver platter, but if someone could just point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Does anyone have any advice regarding where I can find more information about licensing, and the different types? Does anyone know of a "bible" if you will of standard rates for photography publishing? I appreciate any help anyone can lend.

www.ASMP.org Cick on "Business Resources" on the left of their home page.

American Society of Media Photographers. Get their book Professional Business Practices in Photography

Visit www.JohnHarrington.com look around, and check out his pricing tab. Get his book Best Business Practices for Photographers

I usually shy away from selling all rights, but the real question is will you be able to sell these images elsewhere? Since it was a company event, and you don't have any signed releases you probably won't be able to. Go ahead and sell them the images. I usually charge 2 to 4 times my normal fee to sell all rights.

Have Fun,
Jeff

Most reactions

New Topics

Back