Moving away, sorry I missed you

I find these really interesting. Something a bit different from the everyday, mundane, seen a million times before, boring auto snaps imitating others. Interesting composition. Interesting use of colour. Interesting use of movement. They capture a mood and give the viewer something to think about.

One piece of advice I was given many years ago was "don't become a technocrat". I misunderstood that piece of advice for many years. Only now do I really appreciate what a technocrat is (or, was in that person's meaning).

Some photographers are happy taking photographs like all the other 'good' photographs seen in magazines. Other photographers are more interested in stretching the boundaries and breaking the 'rules'.

These shots are a refreshing sight on a web forum. I hope Rob91 sticks to his guns and ignores the technocrats and posts more. Interesting stuff. I like it.

I find these really interesting. I hope Rob91 sticks to his guns and ignores the technocrats and posts more. Interesting stuff. I like it.

I hope every one stops saying anything good about these photos they ****in suck, and now that rob has decided to post ****ty photos every time, people feel bad telling him that they ****ing blow. YOU have to know the rules before you break them and obviously rob does not. If he keeps shooting like this and you guys encourage him, he's always gonna ****in blow.

I hope every one stops saying anything good about these photos they ****in suck.../quote]

You obviously lack the confidence to open your mind. They're interesting photographs full of mood and inviting questions. Photography and art will always be subjective. Thankfully we live in a world full of people with different tastes. It's just a shame that the vast majority have to be told what they like. Rob91 is in the minority I applaud.

I hope every one stops saying anything good about these photos they ****in suck, and now that rob has decided to post ****ty photos every time, people feel bad telling him that they ****ing blow. YOU have to know the rules before you break them and obviously rob does not. If he keeps shooting like this and you guys encourage him, he's always gonna ****in blow.

do yourself a favour, if you don't like them move on to another thread, add rob91 to your ignore list and stop with the bad language or you might upset the MODS.

you've made a point of saying in all of his threads you don't like rob91's images, we get the message.

YOU have to know the rules before you break them and obviously rob does not.

did you read my post?

you have to know the "rules" to break them as persistent as he does.
I do not say it is good, but I say it is purpose.

Rob, I don't look at your threads for the photos, but for the arguments I know will happen because of your photos. If that was your intention, then congratulations, you reached it.

did you read my post?

you have to know the "rules" to break them as persistent as he does.
I do not say it is good, but I say it is purpose.

Hardly the case. Beginners break "the rules" out of sheer ignorance. That's what makes them beginners.

Anyway, I have to say this is one of the few times when I think the title completely makes or breaks the shot. If I saw these on their own, I would think they were absolute ****. But with that title, I think they're fantastic.

Hardly the case. Beginners break "the rules" out of sheer ignorance. That's what makes them beginners.

yes, but they do it with a random pattern. not with the obsession and uniformity it is done here!

yes, but they do it with a random pattern. not with the obsession and uniformity it is done here!

It is true that the pattern does demonstrate intentionality. However, within the context of this discussion about needing to understand the rules to break them, it's a spurious conclusion. Let me put it this way. So perhaps you're a beginner, breaking the rules out of ignorance. If you intentionally continue to produce the same sort of mediocre work, to consciously decide to continue shooting not knowing what you're doing-- that is intentionality, but it doesn't demonstrate that you understand the rules that you're breaking. The tendency to equate intentionality with knowledge, across the board, is tempting but not necessarily correct.

i said he knows the rules, not that he understands them.

ignorance is not the opposite of understanding something but of knowing something.

to my knowledge.

I will not judge if he understands or not.

At least he knows how to attract people to his threads ;)

of course this little discussion does not really contribute to the thread ;)

I find these really interesting. Something a bit different from the everyday, mundane, seen a million times before, boring auto snaps imitating others. Interesting composition. Interesting use of colour. Interesting use of movement. They capture a mood and give the viewer something to think about.

One piece of advice I was given many years ago was "don't become a technocrat". I misunderstood that piece of advice for many years. Only now do I really appreciate what a technocrat is (or, was in that person's meaning).

Some photographers are happy taking photographs like all the other 'good' photographs seen in magazines. Other photographers are more interested in stretching the boundaries and breaking the 'rules'.

These shots are a refreshing sight on a web forum. I hope Rob91 sticks to his guns and ignores the technocrats and posts more. Interesting stuff. I like it.

Thanks for the kind words, they mean a lot to me. It's great to finally receive some compliments.

It's fine that you hate my work as you're entitled to an opinion. The only thing I want to comment on is what you say about "the rules", not necessarily in relation to my photo but photography in general. When judging a photo, such a statement is entirely irrelevant as you have no way of knowing what an artists familiarity with "the rules" are, and if your judgment of a work of art were to rest solely on understanding the technical capabilities of the artist then there's a very good chance your criticisms of the work are vapid.

Anyway, I have to say this is one of the few times when I think the title completely makes or breaks the shot. If I saw these on their own, I would think they were absolute ****. But with that title, I think they're fantastic.

Cool, I never thought Max would call a photo of mine fantastic. Your comment on the importance of the title is actually very helpful, so thanks for that as well.

just curious as to why you post pics like these? or the purpose?

I think that it is fairly clear that the photos rob has shown on this forum are as rob intends them to be - so they should be looked at with that in mind. Then decide whether or not you think that there is anything there.

There may or may not be a hint of provocative tongue-poking as well, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing though it can muddy things up, as demonstrated by the variety of comments on the photos. (Why did rob post them here?)

I think that these two would stand alone without the title - if anything the title reduces the possible paths the viewer's mind could take.

I once hoped that the internet would help work that was not mainstream to flourish. I often feel that the reverse has happened. Hegemony. Spectacle.

Keep going rob.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

Back