Moving Subjects

phcojinx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have recently been offered money for the first time for my photography services. I need all the tips I can get for this. The shoots I have are comprised of mainly mid day shoots with alot of movement; such as a parade and a tactical shooting range. It sounds like it is going to be tricky getting the balance of shutter speed and aperture. If anyone has experience in midday moving action shots help me.
PLEASE!

For a parade it is best to shoot with two bodies. One set up for wide the other with a long lens. Typically, if the parade sponsor is paying you, they wusually want a shot of every float/participating group in the parade. That would be the wide camera. But the money shots, the images that will make them call you back again for next year will be the close ups of participants and the color shots of the spectators.

For a parade it is best to shoot with two bodies. One set up for wide the other with a long lens. Typically, if the parade sponsor is paying you, they wusually want a shot of every float/participating group in the parade. That would be the wide camera. But the money shots, the images that will make them call you back again for next year will be the close ups of participants and the color shots of the spectators.

Thanks for your input, I should have been more specific but I'm the only photographer. Its nothing too big but I absolutely understand what you are saying. Ill have to try and do both. Thanks!

What's your equipment? Make sure you have a hood. Take a flash. Yup, a flash. You will need fill light for backlit shots.

If you don't have 2 cameras. A decent superzoom will do ok. It will be bright enough for the slower superzoom. And you can use post to get rid of an lens defects. Be prepared for weather. Keep eye open for other shots, head on a swivel.

For the shooting range. Bring ear plugs or some kind of hearing protection. They will have a safety briefing for the shooters at least. Go to it and listen. They will kick you out if you break the rules! If in doubt, ask questions on positions and where you can be. And don't be miffed if a participant has you moved if your in within their sight (peripheral or not).

DSCF0372.jpg

_GA11404-XL.jpg

_GA11472.jpg

_DSF3174.jpg

_DSF2983.jpg

_GA13454.jpg

_DSF2657.jpg

You can think around the depth of field:
D=(2*N*C*U^2)/(f^2)
N: f number
C: circle of confusion
U: object distance
f: focus distance
Or the hiper focal distance:
U>= (f^2)/(N*C)
And build the equipment around it but because they are moving a flash coud be good but if it is a marching band be carefull around the trumpets and other shiny surfaces.

Most reactions

Back