Mt attempt at working with Models

tjones8611

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Over the past few months I've expanded to more people shots, including models (modelmayhem). I've shot in various locations, including studios, clubs, lakes, etc.. While I know it's not preferred, can you take a look at my photos at the below link, my modelmayhem port, and provide feedback? Im wanting to continue with people shots, but I guess I need to validate to myself that I have the potential, or at least the basics, to proceed. Im not looking for specific feedback on any photo, just an overall critique of the port. Well... if any just plain suck, let me know.

Thanks in advance!!

http://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/1491235/viewall

Last edited:
Your lightning is off frequently, and if it isn't, I usually can't tell what style you're trying to approach the picture with...

You may get more feedback if you post pics and not links.

I won't click on links while at work and may not even click them out of work - just in case, don't know what type of "model" pics I may get :)

...I guess I need to validate to myself that I have the potential, or at least the basics, to proceed.

These qualities are not inherent, but must be learned.

It appears that you rely on the models for posing. And then, there's the lighting issues.

Overall, I wouldn't say that your portfolio is awful. It does show that you've taken the initiative to get some things together for a session.

Learn some more about lighting and posing, then do some more preparation for you next session.

-Pete

this one is great!
model is looking good, pose is great.
and the lighting is dead on

i also really like this one

I, too, liked the ones that ghache posted. But there are others that don't even come close to these. If you hadn't told me, I would have guessed that those photos came from different photographers. Were some of them early in your career and some later?

Well - would agree if the posts already here.
Honest opinion, you def. have an eye for what to do, now it is time to add the eye for it (which in my experience is the most important part of it) together with some of the more technical aspects (lighting / posing).

I have always found, that working with make-up artists as well TFP of course, can be very beneficial, as they might have some additional input in regards to poses, and especially face expressions.

Overall though I would say - not a bad gallery with some superb shots!

Thanks for the feedback!!! Unlike most, I think Im going backwards. The photos most liked, are my earlier photos. I think as time progressed, I may have relied on PS and LR to much. I think its time to go back to the basics of photography, ensuring the fundamentals are met and limit or at least reduce postprocessing.
I do struggle with the posing. I come with ideas, usually originating from the poses of other's photos. Sometimes the model can pull them off, sometimes they cant. When my prepared ideas go south, I do have a tendency to get the model's input on poses and rely on them a little more in such situations. Im not sure how to address that, except to continue practicing/shooting and soliciting for feedback.

Again, thanks to everyone who responded and I look forward to you input again in a month or so, hopefully I will be able to demonstrate some improvement by then.
scott

I do struggle with the posing. I come with ideas, usually originating from the poses of other's photos.

Excellent place to start. Now go a bit deeper and learn WHY those other photographers directed their models as they did. It will make life much more enjoyable when you understand how to achieve what you want rather than waiting and hoping to see it happen.

And, it's not as tough as some may lead you to believe. You can find a lot written on the topic... some tutorials too. Look for a workshop in your area. Once you arm yourself with some solid approaches in your mind, work at putting it all into application. It may not happen right out of the chute, but you'll be better able to critique your own work and quickly make refinements.

Good luck!

-Pete

Most reactions

Back