Multnomah Falls

invisible

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.federicobuchbinder.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Some more pictures from my Portland trip. For those of you who haven't heard of them, Multnomah Falls is both the tallest and the most visited of the Columbia River Gorge numerous waterfalls. It falls 165 metres in the upper falls and 21 metres in the lower falls, making it the second highest year-round waterfall in the entire United States –and the most visited point in the Columbia River Gorge.

Too bad the weather was miserable that day: the nagging fog and the mist created by the falls themselves ruined the whole photographic experience. Plus, my camera and lenses got soaked!

The images:

These two don't come anywhere close to doing justice to this spot. Yet another reason for me to go back someday.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Yes, you should go back.
Keep an eye out for when the light is the best during the day and also seasonally.
You also might need a wider angle lens ... slower shutter speed with a tripod.

I hear you. I visited this place as part of a guided tour so I couldn't really choose the time of day to stop there. This was exactly at noon, in late December (worst time of the year to visit the Pacific Northwest).

I actually shot these with a wide angle lens (the Tokina 11-16) with a D70s, f/9 @ 16 mm, 1/100, ISO 200. Couldn't shoot wider because of the multitude of people wandering... Not a super-fan of waterfalls shot with a slow shutter, though.

Hmm, I hate the crowds also.
Too many people milling around in the photo.

Now, if you take a long enough exposure the people will disappear.

Love it! It is what you picture when reading Tolkien.

I have never actually tried it myself ... I just though a 5 minute exposure might be long enough to completely underexpose any moving human objects ... unless of course one of them fires off a picture with flash.

It's the toughest place to shoot effectively - that I've ever tried to shoot. But at the same time, the rewards can be worth it!

I've made two quick stabs at it so far in order to get a feel for the place, and one of these days I'll get back there with a tripod.

Marc

Last edited:
I like the last one, the first looks a bit crooked
True, it does look crooked...

It's the toughest place to shoot effectively - that I've ever tried to shoot. But at the same time, the rewards can be worth it!

I've made two quick stabs at it so far in order to get a feel for the place, and one of these days I'll get back there with a tripod.
Lucky you! Feel free to post your photo(s)... I really can't have enough of this place.

Thanks everybody for your comments.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back