Music on Websites

DecadentDashes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off, I did a quick search and didn't see any topics about this, but if I missed any, I apologize for being repetitive.

It's been a rather lazy Saturday for me and out of curiosity I spent some time googling local photography studios to see what kind of services they offered etc. Out of a dozen or so websites, nearly all of them had some type of music start playing as soon as the page loaded. My immediate reaction whenever this happens is to x out of the page asap to make it shut up because I can't be bothered to search around for the (usually) tiny pause button. Had I been a customer that alone would have prompted me to look elsewhere for services.

And so I'm wondering how many of you put music on your photography websites or enjoy it when others do? I know the sites I visited represent a rather small cross-section of a greater collective, so is this common nationally/globally as well?

If you do enjoy/use it, what kind of benefits do you think it provides?
If you dislike it, how would it affect your likelihood of becoming a customer?

I find piped music on websites cheesy and a waste of bandwidth/time. The same goes for autoplay embedded videos - annoying..or pretentious flash animations with 'skip this' buttons.

I find piped music on websites cheesy and a waste of bandwidth/time. The same goes for autoplay embedded videos - annoying..or pretentious flash animations with 'skip this' buttons.

This ^^

I dislike it and usually just kill the page and move on. If I'm really interested to see what they have though, I'll hit the mute button on my keyboard.

I hate music and auto playing videos on a website. Mine doesn't have it, nor will I ever do it. I browse the internet listening to my music and I hate when something else is trying to compete.

I hate it, I'll mute it or leave the page. It seems like every time a thread or discussion comes up about it everyone dislikes it so it's a wonder there are as many people who have it on their site.

I hate it when I visit a website and music starts playing out of nowhere. Doesn't matter if the music is good or bad. I am usually listening to my own music when browsing websites, and when I am not it means I don't want to. That's why music on a website is generally a bad idea for me.

People web surfing at work love the univited music that comes blaring out of some web site. :thumbup:

It lets everyone around them know they aren't working. :thumbdown: :lmao:

I'm always surprised at how people on photo forums vehemently hate music on web sites....as Keith mentioned, it's probably because many of them are browsing while they should be working ;)

Personally, I don't mind it...although I don't use it myself. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that the right music can add emotion, pizazz, wow factor to a slide show of image. That's why I think it's weird that so many people hate it.
And remember, a typical photographer's website isn't made to impress other photographers...it's made to impress brides (to be), or mothers etc.

And yes, there is certainly the issue of music copyright. Many do illegally use popular songs without paying for them. A better way is to buy royalty free music...or better yet, get some music right from a musician and work out a deal.

It depends on the music. If it helps in setting the mood for viewing the images, I like it and my clients have told me that they love the music on my site. But if it doesn't match the images then it's annoying, but you can always turn it off.

There was a recent study (sorry... can't remember by what company)... they did focus testing with real clients. MOST said they hate music on sites and that it is the most annoying thing about photography websites. I know it's a great way to display work... but ... in context of an actual client meeting wher you show a slideshow set to music.

If you're targeting consumers (brides, portrait clients) they are most likely doing their research while they are at work (another study showed this to be true as well). They don't want their boss to know they are researching this stuff (and photogrpahy is an easy thing to research secretly at work)... if the music suddenly comes on when they click on your link they will immediately close your site... and now they have alerted their boss that they were doingn something personal at work.

So... IMHO no music. :)

Honestly anyone at work should learn to turn their speakers off anyway ;)

As for music on websites I would say that if you are going to have it make sure the controls (ie the volume and on/off) are very clear and easy to find on the page. I can find music annoying, but more annoying is when I can't find the button to turn it off. If I have to scroll around the page to find a little control point; or magically hover my mouse over the right section to get the controls to appear then its annoying.

I agree that the right music can indeed enhance a viewing experience so I don't think its totally out of the door - just so long as I can control it :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back