"My camera is better"

Best thing to do is walk away and never think of it again... There are people who need to know what they have is better/bigger/cooler/more expensive than others, it's all about insecurities and an inferiority complex... Either way, non of your problems. If there's anything I'd do besides walking away, is try to teach her something from a humble position.

I agree 100%. But with microphones and 3 monitor mixes to set up in 30 mins. A quick chat was all I was after. Lol

The fact that they were talking about gear should have pushed you in the other direction.

Next time:

1:Start off the conversation about photographic lighting and composition.

2:Take a moment and contemplate the look on their face.

3:Decide if continuing the conversation is worthwhile.

DiskoJoe said:
I met a wedding photog that shot with a 1d mark IV. I told him I had a sony a200. Never once did he say that his camera was better or act smug about it. But he did like seeing the excited look on my face when he let me take a couple pics with it. he told me I could shoot with it for a while but I was nervous handle that much camera especially knowing I could not replace it if anything happen to it. But he was cool as hell.

People who don't need reassurance from others to validate themselves are the cool ones it seems. I have an in law who shoots a lot of weddings and when my uncle got married he let me use his 70-200 2.8 when I still just had my 1D and my 85mm. What I found is that most Kaymer people are either really cool or I would like to shoot them...with something other than my camera.

I kind of want to get a medium format body for no other reason to avoid people like this.

In my area I actually see this more often than not. However, it's usually the ones that are in art school for photography who have this demeanor. In fact, I saw a ton of them in downtown Nashville over the past couple of days. Glaring down my 5000 while holding their 5D's and D300's with their noses held up.

I found out a long time ago that photography suited me because I am an artist, not because I had a cool camera. When I first got into it, I used a point and shoot; a PowerShot S3iS, and then moved to a PowerShot SD750.

Sent from my iPhone 4S

speaking of cool cameras, I always wanted one of these:

$makina.jpg
(http://www.cosmonet.org/camera/makina_e.htm)

Yeah, I agree about starting conversation about composition and light.

I remember reading somewhere that the amature thinks about their gear, the novice thinks about composition, and the professional thinks about the light.

"So! How many degrees Kelvin do you think that woman's face is....up on stage there?"

:D

^^though context and content ... not important at all.

Turn the tables around....

Perhaps she's been hounded (annoyed) by others (Canon shooters maybe) concerning camera equipment... and was entertaining your curiosity to the lowest possible degree in hopes that you would go away. After all, the first question was "what camera is it?"

"Yes, your camera is better and your ass is bigger."

Hey now. Nothing wrong with a little booty.

unpopular said:
Hey now. Nothing wrong with a little booty.

Lol coming from a ..jackass

Most reactions

Back