My D7100 is a lemon and Cameta Camera has amazing customer service!

coastalconn

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As many of you know, ever since I got the D7100 in October, I have said the AF system was not even close to the D300. After many discussions with various people, I sent it back 2 weeks ago. I received an email from Cameta this morning, expecting it to be a shipping notice, instead, here are a few excerpts...

"I’m emailing in regards to your camera unit we received back from Nikon yesterday. They were unsuccessful in recreating the issue, and had only performed a few adjustments and firmware upgrade. I would be more than happy to send you a list of the services they did do to the camera unit.
In testing the unit here myself, along with my co-worker Mike, we did see that the auto-focus was a bit sluggish. This was also in comparison to a D5100, and brand new off-the-shelf D7100, that he and I tested in conjunction with your camera. Both of those two cameras were a bit snappier at auto-focusing, even with the same 18-55mm lens.

As such, we both felt that it would be best to have you return the remainder of your order for a full refund. Typically, we would have the camera unit exchanged for you, however we’re currently out of stock on refurbished D7100’s. With Nikon’s refurbishing times and shipping times, it’s very hard to say when more will be available. Also, we will refund you the $14 return freight cost paid through PayPal.

We sincerely apologize that the issue could not be corrected through Nikon’s service center"

I am amazed that Cameta took the time to acknowledge that Nikon Service did not actually do anything to address the issue at hand and that they actually took the time to test it out before sending me back a camera that wasn't 100% correct. I am shocked in this day and age a camera company as large as they are actually have this level of customer care and to offer me a full refund after 5+ months..

So as this point I guess I will be purchasing a new D7100. I do really like the D600 but full frame really isn't for me. It's a shame that we know nothing about the D9300, because now I will be buying a new camera, that will hopefully work 100% with the possibility of my dream camera being released in a few months. There really is no other options for me.. I can't believe I have spent the past 5 months struggling with the AF system in this camera thinking it was just what it was..

That's good. Maybe try another d7100?

sssssssssssssssony

Maybe there was a focus issue from day one new and was returned and the refurbished by nikon but nothing was done with the AF. Chances are you will get a good one this time around,I sure hope so anyways. Good luck.

Last edited:
Why not get a d800 if it's an option? It's, what, 15mpx in DX mode, right? And you get the 36mpx when you want resolution.

Yeah, this belongs in that old category of the story that goes by the classification of : "It almost restores your faith when ________ _______ ____ _ ___ _ ____ ______ _____ _____!"

Some one had a posting of a new d800 camcorder thats how it was titled on Craigslist $1500.00 it had stock photos they pulled off the net. I call them on it with pictures of the actual camera through email and they deleted the ad immediately afterwards. A obvious Scam but I was ready to jump on it for that price.

The shots you have with the d600 have been sweet. What about FF keeps you from going that route; extra reach, af system, burst rate, lenses owned? I have read lots of thoughts and opinions on this and still lean towards staying with a crop body for my first upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why not get a d800 if it's an option? It's, what, 15mpx in DX mode, right? And you get the 36mpx when you want resolution.
It would stretch me out more than I really want to go, I would have to cancel my pre-order on the Tamron 150-600, which might be ok. The only real drawback is speed.. I can't seem to find the buffer size in compressed 12 bit raw 1.2 crop mode? Does anyone have a link to the chart?

Some one had a posting of a new d800 camcorder thats how it was titled on Craigslist $1500.00 it had stock photos they pulled off the net. I call them on it with pictures of the actual camera through email and they deleted the ad immediately afterwards. A obvious Scam but I was ready to jump on it for that price.
I saw that on CL, the "camcorder" was a dead giveaway to a scam, lol

The shots you have with the d600 have been sweet. What about FF keeps you from going that route; extra reach, af system, burst rate, lenses owned? I have read lots of thoughts and opinions on this and still lean towards staying with a crop body for my first upgrade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Price is one thing. The D600 has fantastic IQ, but if I have to crop a lot the resolution bothers me a bit if I need to print big. I ran into that problem with the D300 that was a 12 MP camera. My lenses actually aren't holding me back at all. The 120-300 is FF. I have a Tamron 11-18 that is a DX lens, but 15-18 mm shows little vignetting on FF. Catching the exact moment in an Osprey dive is another factor, even at 8 FPS being off 1/20 sec is fish above water vs just wings sticking out, lol

I don't know but I agree with Jaca the lenses you have and the D600 seems the IQ is really really good like a match made in heaven.I remember sometime a while back you shoot with your friends D600 and right off I noticed something different better.It's not a noise thing either but think it was overall IQ including color and maybe the DR.

I don't know but I agree with Jaca the lenses you have and the D600 seems the IQ is really really good like a match made in heaven.
The confusing part is the D600 worked great, it did miss some seemingly easy shots at time, but it was so much better than what was going on with the D7100. The buffer is better in the D600. The D600 is a touch slower. But if I had a D7100 that worked properly the AF would probably be better...

The other thing to is knowing you have 1/8000 second shutter you need you got it with the d600 no chance.Some people need 5000 but nope not the D600 for that matter not canon 6D.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back