My daughter and a family pic

I personally think the concept of door/no door is being overthought. If your subject stands out enough from the background, and is interesting and compelling enough, then the background is a nonissue (for this isolated case...I know others where there is so much clutter it's distracting). Yes, I agree cloning the door handle out makes it look weird.

This is one of those images that we love as parents. Though we are biased, it falls into that crossover path of Venn diagram of art and personal images.

But truthfully, what does the image say to you? We can offer you suggestions all day (i.e. I dodge and burn my images a little more than most...that's how I'm learning to make my subjects pop more), but at the end of the day, it's your clients or you you're making happy. Don't let our suggestions/comments/critiques change the way you shoot. Let them to help you to be mindful of things.

And from one father to another, great image. Frame that first one

I feel like the door could be avoided with a re-shoot and some different angling/positioning. I see some bare wall back there :D Get creative with your angles!

I personally think the concept of door/no door is being overthought. If your subject stands out enough from the background, and is interesting and compelling enough, then the background is a nonissue (for this isolated case...I know others where there is so much clutter it's distracting). Yes, I agree cloning the door handle out makes it look weird.

This is one of those images that we love as parents. Though we are biased, it falls into that crossover path of Venn diagram of art and personal images.

But truthfully, what does the image say to you? We can offer you suggestions all day (i.e. I dodge and burn my images a little more than most...that's how I'm learning to make my subjects pop more), but at the end of the day, it's your clients or you you're making happy. Don't let our suggestions/comments/critiques change the way you shoot. Let them to help you to be mindful of things.

And from one father to another, great image. Frame that first one

I appreciate your thoughts -- thanks!

That first one is framed and on the wall already ;)

I think the shots are cute. Hate the distracting door.

But I was most sorely disappointed when I viewed them full size.

I'm curious why these look so soft and noisy done at 1/320 sec and only 400iso at 28mm? Are Canons that bad?

I feel like the door could be avoided with a re-shoot and some different angling/positioning. I see some bare wall back there :D Get creative with your angles!

Yes, it could be avoided next time for sure. Believe it or not, those first couple of pictures are the only ones where my daughter would stay seated and look at me. She was ALL OVER that bed. Jumping, moving around, laying down, and acting silly. I caught a couple of those moments too but it was hard to get her to do what I wanted her to. I think I need candy nearby to bribe her to actually take my direction hahaha! I told her she could have a treat after but I think I need smaller pieces of candy that she can be rewarded more often with. This sounds horrible....like she's a dog HAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm curious why these look so soft and noisy done at 1/320 sec and only 400iso at 28mm? Are Canons that bad?

It's possible that I missed focus. I know she looks calm there but she was constantly moving. Also, some were underexposed and I corrected the exposure in post. I'm assuming that's there the noise comes in. Overall I'm really happy with how my daughter LOOKS in the three photos but I see all of the issues pointed out as well. I need to slow things down and do more prep and test shots before I bring my daughter in. I need more practice shooting indoors and shooting people. I'm most comfortable outdoors doing macros.

I think I need candy nearby to bribe her to actually take my direction hahaha! I told her she could have a treat after but I think I need smaller pieces of candy that she can be rewarded more often with. This sounds horrible....like she's a dog HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Heck no! Whatever works! Just no chocolate until she's out of that nice dress.

I think I need candy nearby to bribe her to actually take my direction hahaha! I told her she could have a treat after but I think I need smaller pieces of candy that she can be rewarded more often with. This sounds horrible....like she's a dog HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Heck no! Whatever works! Just no chocolate until she's out of that nice dress.

Good point. Some nice clean candy....maybe some sour patch kids. She likes those and they don't melt.

It's possible that I missed focus. I know she looks calm there but she was constantly moving. Also, some were underexposed and I corrected the exposure in post. I'm assuming that's there the noise comes in. Overall I'm really happy with how my daughter LOOKS in the three photos but I see all of the issues pointed out as well. I need to slow things down and do more prep and test shots before I bring my daughter in. I need more practice shooting indoors and shooting people. I'm most comfortable outdoors doing macros.

That's the thing, they don't appear to be missed focused, and there's no motion blur. I mean they look perfectly acceptable web-sized, I was just a bit shocked when i viewed them at original size. Are you shooting raw and not applying any post-sharpening to remove the anti-alasing?

Shooting kids is just simply tough.

That's the thing, they don't appear to be missed focused, and there's no motion blur. I mean they look perfectly acceptable web-sized, I was just a bit shocked when i viewed them at original size.

Shooting kids is just simply tough.

Hmmmm...well due to her movement my exposures were all over the place. The further back she sat on the bed (away from the window) the more underexposed my shots were. I was trying to adjust along the way but also didn't want to miss anything (clearly a rookie here hahaha). So I really think the noise comes from lightening it up so much.

Yes, it is tough. She's a moving target and I'm not that skilled yet hahaaha.

I'm glad you were able to get some good shots. Give her another year and she will "posing" for you when she sees the camera. My 3yo won't cooperate or sit still but my 5yo feels like she needa to pose even when I just want a nice simple pic of her just sitting there and smiling. These are great pics. I do agree with some prior posters that the family shot needs the faces closer together. Maybe you and your husband could kneel down to your daughters height, not sure how that would look but it's one thing to try.

I'm glad you were able to get some good shots. Give her another year and she will "posing" for you when she sees the camera. My 3yo won't cooperate or sit still but my 5yo feels like she needa to pose even when I just want a nice simple pic of her just sitting there and smiling. These are great pics. I do agree with some prior posters that the family shot needs the faces closer together. Maybe you and your husband could kneel down to your daughters height, not sure how that would look but it's one thing to try.

Oh I can't wait for that!

On the family shot, I remember reading about creating triangles...I sort of did that but now I see that the faces are too far apart. We just had this vision of standing out in front of our house for the picture. I had the camera on a tripod with the self timer so this wasn't an easy task. In the future I need to plan things better ahead of time.

Oh I can't wait for that!

On the family shot, I remember reading about creating triangles...I sort of did that but now I see that the faces are too far apart. We just had this vision of standing out in front of our house for the picture. I had the camera on a tripod with the self timer so this wasn't an easy task. In the future I need to plan things better ahead of time.

When dealing with kids there isn't much planning (if you do they will just do what they want anyways). I'm still learning a lot and making "mistakes" in my opinion is the best way to learn.

As a side note; you want the "triangle" in the SAME PLANE as the area of focus. Meaning; all the faces should be about the same distance from the lens, so all will be in focus. You can DO THIS. A little practice alone to get the exposure, frame, background, etc. all good , and then a few shots with your family included.

Most reactions

Back