What's new

My Dungeon

  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #16
Shameless Monday morning bump!!:mrgreen:
 
Neither one is particularly to my taste. I don't think these are HDRed, but they have some of that feel?

The light is hard to understand. It's dappled in the foreground, but then there's that light on what appears to be the vaulted ceiling, which is coming from where? I cannot identify the sources of light easily, which is probably where the HDR feel is coming from.

Overall, this creates a sort of sameness across the frame -- everything feels equally important, equally interesting. The eye is led by strong lines as well as bright light to at least two places, there's interesting stuff everywhere. If this were mine, I would probably start by applying a strong gradient burn diagonally across the whole thing - plunge the lower left into darkness, brighten the center a trifle, and lighten/open the upper right. I'd tuck those interesting objects under the stairs into the shadows, still visible, but murky. Similarly, I'd render the door quite dark as well.

My goal would be to make the picture unfold as you study it, rather than simply serving up a ton of interesting stuff on a platter.

But that's my take, not yours. Maybe there's something there you can use, maybe not. Anyways, it's why these pictures are not to my taste!
 
I think both of them are fantastic. I like the second a little bit more though. Great shot.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #19
Andrew, thank you for the thought out response! This is indeed a HDR . :mrgreen: That being said, HDR is very much a "to taste" type of thing for some people. I used 3 images spaced out at -2, 0, +2. You caught me w/ the light. I most definitely messed with it. I mostly lightened and darkened areas. I didn't add any light where it wasn't already. I tried to think back to when I was actually at this place to understand the lighting and I can't remember where some of the light was coming from. lol All I know is that it was there. =) I might mess with your suggestions. I can see how a dark image would add more mystery, where as this is more in your face.
 
I think I like the coldness of the b&w shot best. :) I went to Eastern state Pen when it first opened to tours back in '93. At the time it was really limited access to the prisoner visiting area, one cell block that housed Al Capone's cell and the exercise yard. They made everyone wear construction hard hats for the tour. Do they allow access to the second floor now and death row?
 
Also, I forgot to add, where the hell are the restraints? If you expect me to visit a dungeon without restraints, you are very much mistaken young lady.
 
Mish , I couldn't disagree with Andy more . Yes this is a busy Shot ,But My eye moves through the frame fluidly . I go to the door ,I go up the steps ,I stop at the rubble under the steps ,I then go to the end of the hall ,turn around and start over . All because THAT is where the light takes me . The amount of time spent gazing at the photo ,is longer than my normal . (It works for me ) . And I vote for the B&W ! Right now I can't remember the name of the Artist ,But there was a person Famous for this type of lighting as well as Busy frames . I'm too lazy to spend the time to look him up . I like it mish ,print it and sell it !
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #23
I think both of them are fantastic. I like the second a little bit more though. Great shot.
Thank you, Sir!

I think I like the coldness of the b&w shot best. :) I went to Eastern state Pen when it first opened to tours back in '93. At the time it was really limited access to the prisoner visiting area, one cell block that housed Al Capone's cell and the exercise yard. They made everyone wear construction hard hats for the tour. Do they allow access to the second floor now and death row?
Ahh!! That was a long time ago, friend! You need to get back there! You can go upstairs in one section but not to walk down the cell block. Most of the place is open now a days. Places that aren't open all the time have guided tours at certain times of the day. Examples of these places are like the operation room, one of the lookout towers, and the play yard. =) Death row is open but it's pretty dark, so taking pictures down there is rough. If you rent the place out they let you go in some of the closed sections! Sounds like you need to jump on board for this spring! =)

Also, I forgot to add, where the hell are the restraints? If you expect me to visit a dungeon without restraints, you are very much mistaken young lady.
I can't put it all out there! Some things need to be a mystery. Just imagine what's in the those rooms. :mrgreen: You won't be disappointed.
 
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #24
Mish , I couldn't disagree with Andy more . Yes this is a busy Shot ,But My eye moves through the frame fluidly . I go to the door ,I go up the steps ,I stop at the rubble under the steps ,I then go to the end of the hall ,turn around and start over . All because THAT is where the light takes me . The amount of time spent gazing at the photo ,is longer than my normal . (It works for me ) . And I vote for the B&W ! Right now I can't remember the name of the Artist ,But there was a person Famous for this type of lighting as well as Busy frames . I'm too lazy to spend the time to look him up . I like it mish ,print it and sell it !
Thanks, Daddy!! :sexywink: It's great to hear that you took notice to the way the light creates a path for you to follow. That is what I was going for. It's no doubt a busy shot with all the little things to look at. =) When I was editing it, I kept finding new things all the time. You should see it in a larger size. =) This just might be one I print! :hug::
 
Very cool image, and I like your processing! If you want the "creep factor" then the B&W definitely wins - like any scary old movie, B&W delivers the punch that color always lessens. Your tones in the color are warm and friendly - beautiful tones, no doubt, but in this instance you may not want them there. ;)

Just my two cents!
 
I feel like the processing is a tad too much. Maybe take it back a quarter turn.

Other than that the scene and light are great.
 
I love the black and white. If you guys ever set up a group to go, I would love to join, Philly is only about 2 hours from me and I have family there.
 
  • Thread Starter 🔹
  • Moderator 🛠️
  • #29
Manny, only if you wear the speedo. Hehe

Rachel, thanks for the comment and it would be wonderful if you joined us in Philly!

Runnah, we're not friends anymore!
 
I like both, but really love the BW the best. To me it has the more creepiness factor.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom