my first 5d mark ii , lens problem

badboyu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got my first 5d mark ii and i have some problems with the lens. I have one tamron 70-300mm i was using on my old eos 1000d and i put on the 5d and it works perfect. but today i was buying a 17-50mm tamron ... put it on and i tryed to make a picture and surprise. i see something like black background and the image is in a circle in the middle. to easy understand it was like the picture was taken from outside the lens. does anyone know what is the problem ? why this happened ? what i did wrong ?

thanks in advance and i hope someone cam enlighten me.

Well I know neither the camera nor the lens but I think I know exactly what your problem is. :p
The 5d is probably a full-frame camera and the tamron 17-50mm is probably a crop-frame lens.

The 5d being full-frame means that the sensor is bigger then the sensor your old camera had. This means your lenses have to create a bigger image circle to cover the entire sensor.
If you use a lens designed for crop-frame lenses on a full-frame lens it will not be able to create an image large enough to cover the entire sensor so the rest of the image will be black, which results in the circle you're talking about. To cover the full sensor on such a camera you must use lenses designed for full-frame sensors.

Thanx for the explaining. This is the problem. So this means I can not use the lens I just bought ? Because I read somewhere that you can make the camera crop the picture ... at least temporary till I have money for a new one. Can anyone suggest a good, good price and wide rage of use lens for the 5d mark ii ?

I think there might be some setting that makes the camera crop the image for you, you'll have to check the manual but most full-frame cameras can do that nowadays I think.
If not you can always crop the image on the computer yourself afterwards, that shouldn't make much of a difference.

I work in norway so here it's like hell. In this city there are only 2 elecronics shops. And they don't have anything. The seller said lens will work on my 5d ... i guess the solution is to order from the internet. dxqcanada i will follow your advice

Hmm, we should have some others in Norway ... like Compaq ... they should be able to assist with photo equipment retailers.

Most reactions

Back