PhilGarber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
philipofnj.redbubble.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi-

Like it? Love it? Hate it? This was is one of my first attempts at self portraiture. I took it with a Rebel XT, 18-55mm kit lens, and a Tital tripod. ISO was 100 and the WB was set to 'Cloudy'.

Attachments

• $IMG_4965.jpg
    $IMG_4965.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 147
It's pretty good. My concern is that your face is slightly distorted. You seem to have shot this from pretty close up, with the lens set to its widest setting. It's a creative choice, there's nothing wrong with it if you like the way you look... and I assume you do, seeing as you are using it as your profile pic. But typically portraits are shot at a longer focal length from a medium distance to avoid any distortion. Shooting wide and close up tends to make the nose and forehead appear wide, most people don't consider that flattering... but it does make the eyes bigger, which is always popular.

It's pretty good. My concern is that your face is slightly distorted. You seem to have shot this from pretty close up, with the lens set to its widest setting. It's a creative choice, there's nothing wrong with it if you like the way you look... and I assume you do, seeing as you are using it as your profile pic. But typically portraits are shot at a longer focal length from a medium distance to avoid any distortion. Shooting wide and close up tends to make the nose and forehead appear wide, most people don't consider that flattering... but it does make the eyes bigger, which is always popular.

Ohhh.. THATS why my face looks so long!:lol: Thanks for the feedback, Flatline. I shot this with the camera under 5 ft from my face.

It also looks like to me that you missed the focus just a bit. I really like the septia conversion, but it looks like that the camera focused on the hair on your forhead and not your eyes which is the prefered stop to focus.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back