My first attempt at HDR (C&C)

Trblmkr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just playing around with this picture and trying to figure out how to make it from 1 RAW picture into and HDR.
After reading around on the web and watching a few video's. I took one prospect and in LR4 Under/Over exposed it by 3 stops.
Combined them in Photoshop CS4 and this was the result.
Love to hear feedback.. is this HDR to you ?

Nikon D5100
ISO 100
30Sec exposure
F8
AP mode
AW mode
Manual Focus

Attachments

• $Maritime Sailors Memorial HDR-R.jpg
    $Maritime Sailors Memorial HDR-R.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 217
To me, this is not HDR. Using a single image limits the dynamic range the HDR image can output. What I associate HDR images with is 3+ images with different exposures.

I see color but not HDR
Considering the original was mostly grey, I was just shocked at what the combination could bring out. Maybe not HDR, but still brings out what was hidden.

To me, this is not HDR. Using a single image limits the dynamic range the HDR image can output. What I associate HDR images with is 3+ images with different exposures.
Understand your thinking, however when I was looking around the net for HDR, there was not one particular way of doing it. Multiple exposore from the original sight, altering jpegs, using layers in photoshop, and the one I tried. Altering one raw picture. Isn't that the benfit of shooting in RAW is you get more data in your picture. So how is it any different by underexposing it by 3 in LR then underexposing it by 3 from the location??

I guess what your saying is HDR is something that's only "planned" I'm going to delibrately make this HDR from the get go ?

Not trying to be a pain, really just trying to understand and learn.

OP, you are correct, there are people that are editing a single image and calling it HDR, but that is a faux HDR. To get a true High Dynamic Range, you need multiple exposures because the camera cannot pick up the full range with just one image. I have watched a few videos from Scott Kelby about how to do a faux HDR to an image in LR4. They increase the contrast, slide the highlights and shadows and bump up the clarity to do it. Here is your image after using this technique.

$Maritime Sailors Memorial HDR-R-3.jpg

get it on aeb mode and you get better results... 1 exposure either way or more if your camera will allow... great first pics though well done..

okay okay... this weekend (weather permitting) I'll head out and try and find some good HDR. Is there any particular subject the translates better?? I'm assuming it's best to be done during daylight hours ?

Nice shot. Would love to have seen that shot done with a soft source of light at the front to illuminate your statue.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back