My first attempt at Panning C&C

Chriss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so this was my very first attempt at panning. I just went to the end of the street and practiced on some cars. Here are a couple of the ones that (im my opinion) came out well. Let me know what you think! Any tips on panning in general would be nice as well.

DSC02835.jpg

DSC02841.jpg

Not bad for a first try. It takes time and practice for you to nail the focus on the subject while panning. As for tips, use a tripod, and don't stop panning even after the shutter goes off. You should start panning before you hit the button and keep going after the curtain resets. Why? To make sure that you panned throughout the entire exposure and didn't stop in the middle of it, which kills the effect.

It was taken at 1/30 shutter speed

Here, I did some photoshopping to make the first one pop a little more. Obviously i cant fix the focus issues but is this better?

Panning1-1.jpg

Try allowing space before rather than behind (or centering) your moving subject. Gives a sense of directional movement. Both these give me a sense of the cars moving backwards.

Try allowing space before rather than behind (or centering) your moving subject. Gives a sense of directional movement. Both these give me a sense of the cars moving backwards.

Yeah I was trying to get the car in the center but they were moving too fast, and me being new at this, i couldnt keep up with them as well. Ah well, Ill go out tomorrow and try this again to see if I can get some better results.

It was taken at 1/30 shutter speed

Thats too slow for first time, keep your elbows tight to your side try not to move camera up and down keep it as smooth as possible and follow through as you press the shutter, start at about 1/125 and work you way down
One of mine @ 1/30 with old 10D just to prove i know what i'm talking about
http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Wolds-Rally-2007/Image00058/191656602_NEJrn-L.jpg

Scooby @ 1/20
http://gsgary.smugmug.com/Sports/Wolds-Rally-2007/Image00104/191658964_pmEzb-L.jpg

Yeah I was trying to get the car in the center but they were moving too fast, and me being new at this, i couldnt keep up with them as well. Ah well, Ill go out tomorrow and try this again to see if I can get some better results.
That's where 6+ fps come in handy ;) You are usually bound to get at least one decent in focus pan shot.

After reading my post I don't think I was clear. Allow space in front of the moving subject to give the impression of directional movement, rather than centering or allowing space at the rear.

Alright thanks for the advice guys!

You're using the same P&S camera I am, it's tough getting good action shots. Keep practicing! :thumbup:

I agree with gary, way to slow for panning...here is one of my shots taken at Mid Ohio Vintage days, subject was doing well over 100mph:

Picture926.jpg

shutter speed was 1/80

Wow. Thats a nice shot.

How are these ones? I believe they were taken at 1/80 although i think the last one was 1/100. Any improvement?

DSC02914.jpg

DSC02903.jpg

DSC02908.jpg

DSC02888.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back