What's new

my first critique

AIB

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Location
SW Ohio
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$DSC_0113.webp$DSC_0137.webp
D5100 i used auto mode for both, I don't have any edit software yet.
 
Both are underexposed

#1 is too busy

#2 is nice, but still a little busy.
 
Stop using auto, stop using auto. Did I say stop using auto? Trust me, manual is what you need. Just play around with the aperture (f2, f4 etc.) and shutter speed (1/200 secs, 1/300 secs etc.) and try and keep the ISO low unless you have no tripod and you're working in low light. Oh, and get either Photoshop or Lightroom. Lightroom, imo, is indespensible. Sure they cost loads, but...

you know where to go (winks deviously) :lol:
 
Hi, AIB. #1 composition is kinda mixed up, With so many things going on, the viewer does not know which subject is the most important, or why the photog chose this shot. Also, the skylight has done you no favors. If your main subject is the geese, then look for a chance to get them framed alone, without the boat and dock. Do you own a telephoto lens?

#2 photographing a field of flowers is difficult. Here we see that the ones on back are not in focus, which sort of spoils this shot. Sometimes you have to devise a way to isolate the main subject while eliminating background elements.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with using the "auto" features of your camera while you are learning composition, lighting, etc. In time, you will move into the other modes that your camera offers, including full manual.

Keep up the good work.
 
Designer said:
Hi, AIB. #1 composition is kinda mixed up, With so many things going on, the viewer does not know which subject is the most important, or why the photog chose this shot. Also, the skylight has done you no favors. If your main subject is the geese, then look for a chance to get them framed alone, without the boat and dock. Do you own a telephoto lens?

#2 photographing a field of flowers is difficult. Here we see that the ones on back are not in focus, which sort of spoils this shot. Sometimes you have to devise a way to isolate the main subject while eliminating background elements.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with using the "auto" features of your camera while you are learning composition, lighting, etc. In time, you will move into the other modes that your camera offers, including full manual.

Keep up the good work.

Designer has a point but I just love the freedom of manual, knowing that you can change every parameter to suit the scene or atmosphere ur tryin to create. And to answer your question murphy, I just played around with the settings and slowly i've discovered the more advanced techniques such as light trails.
 
Reported. Try not creating accounts just to promote a blog.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Stop using auto, stop using auto. Did I say stop using auto? Trust me, manual is what you need. Just play around with the aperture (f2, f4 etc.) and shutter speed (1/200 secs, 1/300 secs etc.) and try and keep the ISO low unless you have no tripod and you're working in low light. Oh, and get either Photoshop or Lightroom. Lightroom, imo, is indespensible. Sure they cost loads, but...

they are worth every penny!

Fixed.

I wish suggesting piracy was a bannable offense.
 
Stop using auto, stop using auto. Did I say stop using auto? Trust me, manual is what you need. Just play around with the aperture (f2, f4 etc.) and shutter speed (1/200 secs, 1/300 secs etc.) and try and keep the ISO low unless you have no tripod and you're working in low light. Oh, and get either Photoshop or Lightroom. Lightroom, imo, is indespensible. Sure they cost loads, but The Gimp is always a good, legitimate and free alternative.

Or....
 
Picture #1 is under exposed, and has way to many elements for a solid composition. Picture #2 might be a tad under exposed. My issue with it is that all the Daisy's should have been in proper focus, and yet keep the background soft like it is.

You do not need to use manual for these type of pictures. I specialize in florals and macro florals. I use a tripod, ISO 200 as it's the lowest my D90 has. I use AP as my concern is controling DOF with the aperture. I really don't give a hoot as to what the shutter speed is. So why should one have to correct both shutter and Aperture. I just adjust the my f stop. then check the DOF. When I'm satisfied that I have it, It take the picture. Then check it on the LCD if I have concerns.
 
Thanks everyone, No I don't own telephoto lens not yet anyway. I'm stll pretty new and learning as I go. never played around in manual yet, it's overwhelming at first.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom