My first landscapes with an SLR...

Mike350d

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all.
I've only had my dSLR (canon 350d) for a couple of weeks now, so I'm completely new to SLR photography. So far I've just been experimenting with the various modes and settings on the camera and hopefully will get to grips with it over time.

I just wanted to share a couple of photos from my last two weekends which I consider to be my best so far. They have been under the PhotoShop knife of course, but I am looking for some comments and criticism please, as it's the only way I'm going to improve. Cheers!

terrace-mist.jpg

greenan_castle.jpg

Well im gonna have a hard job criting these. I can give you this advice tho.....your doing fine! Your composition is good, tones/contrast is good and by the looks of it your ps skills are good. So all i can say is keep it up, challenge yourself and keep posting :thumbup:

Perfect, nice frame too, no bad things about it!

Thanks guys. I like those comments :)

I have a bit more experience with ps than I have with a dSLR (I've been using it for a few years in my job) so I knew a few techniques to help salvage my photos.

I never really thought, but I should've posted the non-processed originals as well. I'll do that later when I get home.

Cheers woodsac. I look forward to receiving some good pointers from all the experienced photographers on here... and maybe input my own bit here and there.

welcome to tpf mike, this is a great place to learn and improve... it's tough trying to keep up with some of the talent here but it just makes you want to be better. it looks to me like you have a natural eye for photography, these are both great shots, I especially like the mist in the first one. i like your presentation too with the frames and titles. :thumbup:

I agree with everyone! Love the comp and tones! Welcome btw!

Thanks again for the very warm welcome.

With my inexperience it's difficult for me to tell even if I'm doing something right or not. The feedback has been great so far, just from the point of view that I at least know I'm on the right track. This should boost my confidence to perhaps try and be even more creative.

Cheers,
Mike

They look good.

The 2nd one has a great composition, nice use of empty space while still maintaining an interesting image.

The 1st one...I like the composition and perspective...but it feels like it's missing something...maybe it's just too small to really appreciate it. Maybe it could do with more contrast.

Thanks for the comments.

Some more contrast you say Mike (and I can sort of see what you mean). I'll have a play about and see if I can make it pop.

Also: Both these photos were taken without any filters on the lens. If any of you were in the same situation to take those photos, would there have been an obvious filter choice?

Most reactions

Back