My First Macro pictures =]

ngirly1991

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i went outside my house where the valley is and started taking pictures of everything that is interesting...most flowers. it's not really my first macro shots but usually i dont use it...
so...what do you think?

Flowers.jpg

RiseandShine.jpg

Unique.jpg

colorful.jpg

tree.jpg

A few of them are a bit fuzzy(unsharp), but not a bad start! LOVE the flower in number 3. If you have a tripod, use it. If not get one, they are the sharpest lens you can buy ;).

The first one is my favorite but I think it needs a little contrast boost. The others seem out of focus (aside from the last one) but otherwise (compositionally) seem pretty good.

Some minor focusing and exposure issues, but overall some very nice work. As A_J said, definitely get/use a tripod, even in bright sunlight, good macros are often difficult to shoot hand-held. Additionally, don't forget about your lighting. 3&4 have highlight/shadow issues that could easily be rectified with the use of inexpensive home-brew diffusers and reflectors.

I agree with the others.

#1 your camera focused, but I find with macro, it's difficult to focus on more than one point.

#2 is good composition, I like the purple flower with the golden yellow background, but again it's really out of focus.

#3 is a really neat subject!! It looks like camera shake was the problem here. Everybody is recommending a tripod, something I would like to invest in myself. However, I take alot of macro shots, and get some really great results that are clear blown up quite large, with no obvious blurring whatsoever, minus the tripod. So good macro pictures can be achieved without a tripod, though it certainly does help.

#4, you have the same reoccuring problem.

#5 is very clear, but I don't see anything about it that really catches my attention.

Try to take pictures is softer morning or evening light, and definitely when the air has stilled quite a bit, very difficult to take good macro pictures in the wind, even in a slight breeze. Keep trying, I'd like to see some more of your work! ;)

I agree about the unsharpness. You need to use a tripod! It will really make a huge difference in your macro work. I like #3, but it could have been improved as I think there is some camera shake.

the flowers are beautiful, and i really like number 3.

however as stated by others already, there is some blurriness in some shots. i suspect you maybe went below the minimum focusing distance (got too close?)? This can be critical in macro photography.

Alex B has a point! I completely forgot about that, didn't even cross my mind!

Yeah for close up macro shots like the first 4 you did, I don't use the zoom at all because I like to get so close, sometimes I use it at an extremely minimal level if at all.

i totally agree with everybody! i know about the unsharpness. basically i live in israel and i like photography a lot , never took any course and never been to a photograpy orientation in school but always wanted...ive been taking pictures and trying to learn about my camera a little more in the past two years when my very first picture that came out good was in seattle. i edit my pictures before on photoshop. the thing is, that it's summer now and i have to know a little more of what im doing cus i dont. i had no idea im not supposed to use zoom if i use the macro, i dont know what the super macro is and probably still playing with the settings of the aperture and the shutter and all the rest hoping one will come out good. i dont really understand what im doing im just learning about it, and ive done it well by now but i still need to know what im doing.

i have the feeling you are on the right track here though :) .... just leanr some more about the basics.. as you plan to do :)

i dont know what the super macro is and probably still playing with the settings of the aperture and the shutter and all the rest hoping one will come out good. i dont really understand what im doing im just learning about it, and ive done it well by now but i still need to know what im doing.

Super Macro and Macro are two different beasts of the same species. You are better off sticking with regular Macro untill you get the hang of it.

what is regurarily called macro often falls short of 1:1 wile true Macro is 1:1 and Super Macro exceeds 1:1. By 1:1, I mean the image that is recorded by the sensor or film is the same size as the actual subject thus apears larger when processed.

Some examples

Called Macro - 1:3 at best taken with a Macro enabled zoom, handheld.

True Macro - 1:1 taken with an FL 135mm with Bellows, Tripod mounted with Mirror locked and delayed shutter release.

Super Macro - If my math is correct this is a 6:1 Macro, in other words the image recorded on my negitive is six times the size of the actual subject. Taken with an assortment of macro equipment including bellows and magnafying filters, Tripod mounted with Mirror locked and delayed shutter release and additional lighting.

Continue working with your macro zooms for a wile and get the hang of them, Learn how F-Stops work and what effect they have on your pictures be thay macro or not and definately invest in a tripod.

Most reactions

Back