My first night shot, need help on results

N

nüborn

Greetings to all. First post :)

I recently moved from the P&S world and purchased a Canon XSi. I'm still in the very beginning of the learning process but figured that I could snap some shots to try the camera.

Yesterday was a full moon and from where we were standing, on the shores of Toronto next to the Ontario lake, the moon was rising through the haze/clouds in a sharp and beautiful orange color. The sky and lake were pitch black, so dark that I didn't even notice the ducks playing in the water just 25ft away from me!

And so I decided to try my best. Looking at the photos this morning, I'm a bit disappointed as the moon is way too overexposed (so it looks like a blob) while the rock wall is way underexposed.

I would like your input on how I could have made this shot better (AE Lock maybe?). Here is my setup:

Canon XSi
Tripod
55-250 1:4-5.6 IS (I turned off the IS)
ISO 400
Av mode, F11
Shutter 30 secs
Evaluative Metering
Focal Length 84.0mm (is that even useful?)

This is the original result:
IMG_0472.JPG

From the RAW, I've been able to fiddle with the picture and get something a bit more acceptable (and trimming the family of ducks that decided to swim in at the bottom of my picture). But the colors ended up being not as exciting...
IMG_0472_MANUAL.jpg

I also tried to use the AEB to make an HDR picture. we can see that there is some potential but the problem is around the moon and reflection, so the result is bleh:
IMG_0472_HDR.jpg

I uploaded the RAW files here if anyone feels like fiddling with them...
Index of /photo/05-28-2010

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards

Vincent

Try cropping those shots in portrait style, there is a lot of dark space to the right side of the photos.

BTW: welcome to the forum!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back