My first Photo competition with my local club

Trblmkr

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'll be entering my first photo competition as a novice with 2 color and 2 B/W pictures. Here are the pictures I plan on entering. They are all being submitted as an 8X10, except for the Soldier in B/W, in order to print it as an 8X10, it would crop it middle of his helmet, and cut off his fingers.

Love to hear your opinions

20130629_Waterdrops_001-1 by Dan_Girard, on Flickr

20130112_WestSpringfield_Tracks-2 by Dan_Girard, on Flickr

20130810 DC Korean War Memorial 20BW-50 by Dan_Girard, on Flickr

20130518_OaklandMd_UpLowerSwallowFalls29-2 by Dan_Girard, on Flickr

They're not bad, like the rail shot the most with it fading into the mist. The black and white is too contrasty for my tastes, would like to see some more details in the water and shadows.

I really like 1,2 and 4. I am fairly certain I was there for number 3 when it was shot... If memory serves, you shot a couple that I thought were much more suited to show. To me it really doesnt say anything and remember there being a couple shots you took that were fantastic. I would switch out number 3 for a different one from that group.

I like #1 & #2. The ripple reflections in 1 are awesome...

Beautiful!

Am not much for the smokey water blur. It is everywhere, sick of it.

I'm with Johnny Black on this one! I also like #1

They're not bad, like the rail shot the most with it fading into the mist. The black and white is too contrasty for my tastes, would like to see some more details in the water and shadows.

JohnnyBlack.. Thanks for the comments. The B/W I can understand it's not for everybody but I was going for it being VERY Black/White.

I really like 1,2 and 4. I am fairly certain I was there for number 3 when it was shot... If memory serves, you shot a couple that I thought were much more suited to show. To me it really doesnt say anything and remember there being a couple shots you took that were fantastic. I would switch out number 3 for a different one from that group.

Thanks Steve.. You were there for #3 with much tweaking I came up with this picture. I needed to come up with another good B/W, so that's why I went with the solider as opposed to the one you like of the Flag being highlighted over the soldiers shoulder.

I like #1 & #2. The ripple reflections in 1 are awesome...

Thanks Rick.. it got a few awards on a popular voting website.

Beautiful!

Am not much for the smokey water blur. It is everywhere, sick of it.
Understand Ilovemycam... it's a personal thing. I usually try to do both, and I tend to lean towards the smokey water.

I'm with Johnny Black on this one! I also like #1

Tonight is the competition, so we'll see what happens.

Well the competition was last night. There were 31 entries in the novice color category, with awards going to 1st, 2nd and 3rd with two Honorable Mentions.
Picture #1 above was the first chosen for honorable mention.
picture #2 was chosen for 3rd place.

15 entries into the B/W Novice competition. Neither of my B/W's received an award. The judge talked with me after and said there just wasn't enough tonal quality in them. The Soldier fingers were cropped to much, and not enough cropping in the water fall. Lessons learned... Next Month.. Architecture.

Well the competition was last night. There were 31 entries in the novice color category, with awards going to 1st, 2nd and 3rd with two Honorable Mentions.
Picture #1 above was the first chosen for honorable mention.
picture #2 was chosen for 3rd place.

15 entries into the B/W Novice competition. Neither of my B/W's received an award. The judge talked with me after and said there just wasn't enough tonal quality in them. The Soldier fingers were cropped to much, and not enough cropping in the water fall. Lessons learned... Next Month.. Architecture.

Placing in your first go around !! Very nice, congrats.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back