My first photo here

topazsol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
http://i48.tinypic.com/29zz9xv.jpg

I also have a question. I took about 60 photos of this girl to get this one decent one and I am still not completely happy with it. It's not edited at all. My question is, what setting should I use when shooting something like this? She is an aerial acrobat and she was moving at high speed despite the fact she has 2 broken feet. I could not use flash in the auditorium, all I had were stage lights. Under these conditions, which settings are best? I have a Sony DSLR.

Concrit and advice is very much appreciated, thanks.

I was using a telephoto lens since I was far from the stage and wanted to get a good close up. I don't have one picture that is not blurred at least a little and that is what is bothering me. How should I photograph someone moving at such fast speeds? And without a flash as well.

A shutter speed that will stop all motion. Somewhere between 125-250 and a high enough ISO that allows a good exposure for your chosen Aperture.

Your camera ISO was 1600. You had a 135mm lens on the camera and your shutter speed was 1/60th sec. with the aperture at f/5.6.

You need a faster shutter speed plain and simple. 1/60th sec. with a lens that long and a moving subject isn't going to work. To get a faster shutter speed and maintain correct exposure you must:

1. raise the ISO even higher:
__a) it's already at 1600 so how high can your camera take the ISO. Can you get ISO 6400?
__b) the image quality will continue to degrade as the ISO climbs up, unless,
__c) you buy a new camera like the Canon 5d mkII or Nikon D700, or
2. open the lens aperture up beyond f/5.6 which you can't do because it's already at max so:
__a) buy a new long lens with a maximum aperture of f/2.8, or
3. turn up the lights.

Joe

You have probably come close to maximizing the potential of your current equipment. Much higher on the ISO and noise may start to become a problem. I don't know what the maximum aperture of your lens is but perhaps it can go wider than f/5.6. The alternatives, other than buying new equipment are to adjust your technique. Use a monopod or tripod to stabilize your camera and shoot only at times when the subject is still. Even during acrobatics they will pause for a second at critical points in a maneuver and those are the times you have to be ready to shoot. Shoot a LOT of frames and pick the best of the bunch.

I shot This Clouded Leopard cub at 1/25 second, f/5 @ ISO 800 yesterday evening. I was bracing my camera on the framing of the window I was shooting through since I had left my tripods and monopod at home. There were 3 in the pen and they were playing like kittens usually do so I had to wait for pauses in the action because my shutter speed was so slow.

These tips are so helpful! Thanks so much, I really appreciate it!

Ugh, been there. I've taken pictures of friends doing aerial silk/trapeze, and usually the venues are really dark...nothing to do but take your ISO up...
It helps if you've seen the rutine beforehand, for you'll know when the statinc moments are.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back