but a photographer's eye is slightly different than a traditional artist (in some cases).
I agree

but, that's why you have to train the eye

or everthing else you want to be good at for that matter, if you just got your dslr camera, then your learning about iso, aperture mode, time etc. time and practice really will get you to know about what lens to use, or how much time u have to take a picture, and what setting etc. what iam trying to get as is kind of just practice, ex i just discovered this forum yesterday its awesome

I think if you like taking photos and you genuinely enjoy it you are bound to get better, i was reading your post, and it's like those words were coming out of my mouth. I always liked photography but i never knew what a dslr was, i thought point and shoots were it until i got my hands on one and i took pictures of everything