My first real "photo shoot" 12pix

Hahahaha yes "dear god, make me a bird so I can fly far, far away from here"
HA thats the same line I thought of lol

returnofa5i, how did you do the eyes in your edit?!
I used Nik Color efex pro and selected around here eyes and used contrast only filter, pumped up the whites, the contrast, and the saturation, then i brushed it onto just the eyes.

i like the edits a lot returnofa
thanks

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm still learning both the people photography and post processing. I'm actually just now using my own photoshop at home instead of someone elses.

By the way, for those wondering. The Lord's Child is a charitable organization like the sameritan's purse. We basically give needy children thing they need that their parents can't provide. The photoshoot was to replace the picture we have on our current logo. We purchased the one we're using right now. This way we have our own. The children's parents were at the shoot and know all about what we were doing.

^^^ so you probably want that look then? It definitely screams "street child".

BTW... return... how did you do that, exactly? The picture is definitely interesting, but without your process it's hard to learn your mad skillz. :)

^^^ so you probably want that look then? It definitely screams "street child".

BTW... return... how did you do that, exactly? The picture is definitely interesting, but without your process it's hard to learn your mad skillz. :)

STEPS
1) Add Unsharp Mask (to taste)
2) Patch tool, remove bags/pits under eyes and any other unwanted blemishes
3) Contrast only filter on the eyes with nik color efex pmp up the contrast the whites and the saturation, brush it on.
4) Dynamic skin softener (to taste) brush it on and erase from the eyes and lips.
5) Sunlight filter (to taste)
6) polarization filter (to taste)
7) Select the face with the circle select thingy at 200pt then inverse selection. Then midnight filter, dont get it on the face.

^^ wow. Thanks... I may have to go play with that.

Personally, I don't think this girl's skin in #3/#4 needs softening at all, she's got lovely complexion. And the 'milky white' of the edit doesn't thrill me either.

Here's a couple takes. The first does just a bit of cleanup, sharpening in lab mode, and using an overlay to dodge and burn the eyes, a bit of work with levels and then using curves on everything not her (pulling the center of all channels down a bit). The second is that picture using a technique I found in 'photoshop cs3 for photographers'... calls it a 'high contrast' photo though I'm not sure that's the best term for it. I think with this particular subject, it works better than a black and white:

lordschildedit.jpg

lordschildedit2.jpg

I don't particularly like the girl in the background on the second edit, but cloning to entirely black didn't make me happy either and the dangly bits of hair would take some extra love and attention. They look a bit cut off.

As far as what you're going for, my initial reaction on the first photo was very 'children of the corn' -- but if they're downtrodden, being completely clean and in very, very nice looking clothes doesn't help convey the image you're looking for.

And if you want to take the color one one step further (this was just a quick edit, btw), duplicate the layer, give the new layer a 15-pixel gaussian blur, then use 'multiply' as the blend mode and change the opacity to 75%. Probably would need a little work bringing the eyes back out, but gives it a little darker 'feeling', I think. You might think otherwise, of course :)

lordschildedit3.jpg

Somehow the girl looks more moody with the camera than upset to me. Focusing your edits on the 4th shot is definately the way to go. That seems to be the better pose but she does look too pastey in the original.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back