My first shoot ever on a DSLR - Baseball - C&C

KreGg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I just recently purchased my first DSLR, a Nikon D3100 with a 50mm 1.8 nikkor and a Tamron 28-75 2.8.
I was never that much into photography, but I ve been studying it for about a month before I saved enough money for this.

Anyway, I had a baseball tournament this weekend and took some pics. What about them? Those are all edited somehow. Either by just cropping or making the colors a bit more warm, or adding some other effects.

Anyway, to the pics:

dsc_0323.jpg

dsc_0471.jpg

dsc_0493.jpg

dsc_0540.jpg

dsc_0769.1.jpg

dsc_0823.jpg

dsc_0824.jpg

dsc_0825.jpg

dsc_0842.jpg

dsc_0912.jpg

dsc_1036.jpg

dsc_1037.jpg

dsc_1038.1.jpg

dsc_1172.jpg

dsc_1195.jpg

hmm sorry if that's too many pictures... i think I got a little too excited hehe
Just give me comments on the ones worth commenting then.
Thanks.

Yeah too many pictures for individual critique, but generally speaking the big thing that stands out to me is that many of your shots have a bad case of "the tilts." It's easy to straighten up your shots in post-production in any photo editing software (whatever you used to add that vignette would also be capable of straightening your photo up).

Rotating an image to straighten it will also mean you need to crop in a bit, so when you shoot, leave yourself some room around the edges (don't zoom in to much) to allow for some correction later.

For sports shots though, they're not bad. Keep practicing!

Other than what Brian has said about the tilts, I feel that they are all a bit under exposed, and this can also be quickly adjusted as well when processing the shots...
But you got some great action shots with good composition, especially #11, #12 & #13...
But believe you could have cropped tighter on shots #6, #7 & #8 as there seems to be too much none interest area around the action... JMHO...

Thanks for the input!
hmmm now that you have mentioned it, I can see that some do have a tilt. Thanks for pointing.

I loved the 11, 12 and 13 :) I sensed there could be a play at home plate and was ready for it.
The 6, 7 and 8 was tough... Since the longest range of my lens is 75mm, standing near the dugout, the image I got from the play at second base was really small. I thought I would get a boring (small) picture of the play.
When I came home, I tried zooming in, and thankfully the focus was good and the picture was sharp, even zooming in 100% and cropping it.
I wished I could crop it much more, but I thought I was getting near the limit of what it could handle of cropping, since I shot it from far away.

Congrats on your new purchase! I too have recently purchased my first DSLR (Canon 60d) and I'm thoroughly enjoying it! I personally think that your photos are great, especially for a beginner. You've definitely captured some great moments here, and these would make for some good candid shots for your gallery. My only criticism here is that a few of them are a tad bit under exposed, and you could do without the vignetting on most of these pictures. But you'll get better at controlling your settings and post-processing with time and good practice!

I really think #13 would have been awesome but I think the shutter speed may not have been fast enough. Pretty good for picking up camera for first time. 75mm is like nothing in sports so either these have a ton of cropping done or you are out there playing and shooting at the same time. I think you'd be a lot happier with shooting in the 100-300mm range.

I was playing with vignetting and stuff for the first time also. Actually looking at some pictures now, I think I may have gone a little too far on it. But its fine, since I have the originals.
I will have a look on the exif data on the pictures and then check why some might be a bit underexposed. But if I expose it a little more, to, say, get detail on the faces, maybe the sky and ball and field would be way too overexposed, no? hmmm

My next lens I am thinking of buying the Tamron 70-300 VC :)
These have lots of cropping done for sure. But I had access to the field when they were warming up, so some I got when they were in between innings and those don't have too much cropping.

By the way, this is the #13 without cropping:
m61k5.jpg

I like that without the crop. I agree about under-exposure. Easy fix to that in PP (post processing). Also, just a wee lil bit too much vignetting for my taste. Otherwise, really nice shots for your first time using a DSLR!

Most reactions

Back