What's new

My First Still

I think the compass in the background pulls my attention too much. So I would try a cleaner background. But thats just my opinion.
 
^^^^ Agreed. It should be about the watch and nothing else. And set the time to 10:10.
 
Looking at the dials, I think 10:20 would be more approrpiate.
Watch companies prefer their watches to be photographed at 10:10 not only to showcase the logo, but because it makes the watch look like it's smiling at the customer. 8:20 would work too, but that looks like a frown, and 10:20 would appear lopsided.

Not saying you're wrong... I agree that I would like to see the complications as well.. just outlining the theory behind the "10 and 2" reasoning.

Also, the watch face seems to be slightly underexposed. I could be wrong.

I often am.
 
...Watch companies prefer their watches to be photographed at 10:10 not only to showcase the logo, but because it makes the watch look like it's smiling at the customer. 8:20 would work too, but that looks like a frown, and 10:20 would appear lopsided.
Agree - this one is a bit of an odd-ball and it's a matter of determining whether it's better to have the minute hand through the dial, or have the hands at a non-standard time....
 
Agree - this one is a bit of an odd-ball and it's a matter of determining whether it's better to have the minute hand through the dial, or have the hands at a non-standard time....

I hear ya... but even the high end watch companies... Rolex, Patek Philippe etc. will have their official advertisements photographed at 10 and 2... even if it means the minute/hour hand is covering a complication. I don't necessarily agree with it... it's just the way they do it.

Now me... if I had a killer watch, with awesome bells and whistles... I would photograph that sucker to 8:37 if it meant I could see all the awesome. :)
 
I think the compass is "attaching itself" to the watch a bit. Watch dial looks ever so slightly blurred in the Original size on Flickr. I think these types of tabletop shots build a lot of skill. I saw your other post "woman on top", also with tabletop setups. I would say keep at it, keep working at these. Doing these kinds of exacting shots is always worth the time and effort.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom