My first studio gig coming up. AND HE'S A STATE REP. Lots and lots of questions.

Flower Child

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am a freelance photojournalist and I am used to doing split second shots with all natural lighting to get the result I want. I don't even own a flash for my Nikon D80.

Now I am faced with a new challenge much out of my comfort zone. I have been asked by a state representative to take some campaign shots for him. I think he will want a few shots also for other reasons like a shot with him and his mustang and he family etc. I haven't got the chance to really go through all the details yet, but I am going to take him up on the offer.

I am willing to spend a little money to get the neccessary equipment I need to get going and I will need your help on this.

I am pretty comfortable with outside lighting and I know I could do some good shots for him with all natural lighting with his family and such. Here is a VERY quick shot I did of my cousins a while back. I realize my far cousin is a little out of focus. I just want to give you guys an idea of what I CAN do with outside lighting.

Copy2ofCopyofDSC_0174598x402.jpg

Could I get by on shots like that? Refined a bit of course.

I would like to do a nice shot of he and his wife. A really professional shot. Black backdrop, she in a chair, he standing next to her, studio lighting (or at least nice lighting).
I am completely overwhelmed when it comes to studio lighting equipment.
I would like a softbox. I took a class not too long ago and the instructor had one softbox and it was perfect and it was all she needed. It was on a stand and it had a light in it and put off a beautiful cast.

I want something REALLY affordable. With a stand. With the light thing in it. Does the light come with it or do you have to buy it separately?

And I'm thinking about getting the Nikon SB 600 flash.

HEEELLLLPPP MEEEEEE! :lol:

Thank you!

Decent studio strobes start at $500/unit. You might be able to get the outdoor/natural light work, but if this job needs studio work I'd suggest passing on it and letting someone with more skill in that area handle it.

Could I get by on shots like that?
No.

I was going to leave my answer as simple and straight forward as it was. However, I will add that if you plan on using external lighting without prior knowledge and useage, make damn sure you practice, practice and have more practice before this shoot even becomes a fantasy for you. I don't know how well versed you are in your PJ skills but portraiture is a different ballgame. If you have to ask if you could "get by on shots like that", then you already know the answer. I once ordered a 22 oz Porterhouse steak....... it was more than I could chew.

Decent studio strobes start at $500/unit. You might be able to get the outdoor/natural light work, but if this job needs studio work I'd suggest passing on it and letting someone with more skill in that area handle it.

Thank you very much for your help. I've always hated studio work, even more now that you told me studio strobes start at 500 a unit. :lol: I'm going to tell him that I will do all the outdoor family shots and portraits he wants but that I just don't have the equipment for indoor studio shots.

My hopes are that he will want shots of him on the capitol building steps, on the sites of his projects, by his campaign signs etc. That is what I feel comfortable doing.

You're right, if he is going to want indoor studio shots I'll just have to lead him to someone else.

If I get more and more bites for studio shots I'll sure look at that, thank you!
Could I get by on shots like that?
No.

I was going to leave my answer as simple and straight forward as it was. However, I will add that if you plan on using external lighting without prior knowledge and useage, make damn sure you practice, practice and have more practice before this shoot even becomes a fantasy for you. I don't know how well versed you are in your PJ skills but portraiture is a different ballgame. If you have to ask if you could "get by on shots like that", then you already know the answer. I once ordered a 22 oz Porterhouse steak....... it was more than I could chew.

:mrgreen:
Thank you, I agree. You've really helped me make up my mind about this. Like I told tirediron, I would be happy doing any sort of outdoor shot of him if he wanted to be on site of his projects, he & his family outside, by his campaign signs, or shaking hands with somebody on the capitol steps, you know that ol' chestnut. But for studio shots, I'll just have to lead him elsewhere.

Many thanks.

Could I get by on shots like that? Refined a bit of course.
Not if you really want this ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ .

A really professional shot.
which would take a professional portrait photographer.
Thank you very much for your input, you guys have been so much help.

The ABs are decent lights, but by the time you and a light stand, umbrella, half a soft-box, and remote trigger, you're going to be getting darn close to $500. The Calumet kit looks to be, well... less than stellar quality.

Actually, I think the Calumet Genesis lights look pretty good, especially for the money, and they have some accessories that look decent too, like the grid, and they are Elinchrom-compatible on reflectors, so there are LOTS of options. Flash tubes and replacement lamps seem fairly priced as well, and Calumet is one of the names I really trust in terms of lighting/studio stuff. Just as an addition, I recently downloaded the Calument Genesis 300's instructional manual in PDF format from Calumet, and also looked at the new $189 12 volt DV battery pack that Calumet is selling for the Genesis 300 AC/DC monolights.

I dunno...the new battery back and the 300-series monolights looked very good to me for lighter-weight,location lighting. Just something to think about, since as of late the flash makers are starting to come out with more and more and more AC/DC dual-power type monolights which will get you the ability to use one set of lights in-studio, and also off the grid.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back