my first super long exposure

peanut170

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
4765771382_3ce72525fd_b.jpg

Took this on the bulb setting had the shutter open for 10-15 minutes. If u look close you can see the big dipper. it was around midnite and pitch black so it was a challenge to try and get a close focus. but im happy for my first ever try. any comments or pointers is appreciated.

how do i keep pressing for 15 min? Is there a lock button under bulb setting?

Not bad. I've been meaning to do some star trails, but I don't really have a wide enough lens...

how do i keep pressing for 15 min? Is there a lock button under bulb setting?

i did it with the remote control
Yup, remote is the way to go.

Wired remotes have a lock to hold the button down; wireless ones you push once to open the shutter, push again to close it.

oh sweet.. I got an ebay special wireless one.. cool bean!

Looks cool, been waiting to try this. I just cant find a nice dark spot yet.

another tip, use your mirror lock up altho for that long perhaps it isn't as critical as it would be in the sec range.

I like the trails, I like the foreground, I just wish it felt sharper. it's almost as if there are too many stars showing at the same brightness that it becomes muddy

from my reading of star trail techniques, and trying to get far enough out once to take some, you need to be like an hour from the nearest town of 10,000 to get good dark settings. Utah is a popular place these days as it's reasonably accessible by highway

The trails are a bit out of focus, but its not heaps noticable

I like the trails, I like the foreground, I just wish it felt sharper. it's almost as if there are too many stars showing at the same brightness that it becomes muddy

from my reading of star trail techniques, and trying to get far enough out once to take some, you need to be like an hour from the nearest town of 10,000 to get good dark settings. Utah is a popular place these days as it's reasonably accessible by highway

yea ive heard that before, but knew id be unhappy if i didnt at least give it a try.....like they say a not so great picture is better than no picture at all. all about practice init.

I plan on trying soon as well. I even contemplated using a +2ND or +4ND filter just to keep the sky dark over a 20-30 minute exposure.

Did you find a good online source for the best techniques for doing this?

I plan on trying soon as well. I even contemplated using a +2ND or +4ND filter just to keep the sky dark over a 20-30 minute exposure.

Did you find a good online source for the best techniques for doing this?

Really inspiring! Now I want to it myself to! But have to wait untill I go on holiday. Cities aren't the best environment for these things.

Most reactions

Back