What's new

My First Trains!

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Mar 23, 2012
Messages
3,160
Reaction score
717
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

So today I went down to the tracks and waited for a couple of trains. composed everything before the trains came, and shot in brackets, ha.. but then the trains came and being so close I sort of freaked out and my composition isn't exactly how I originally planned. Anyway, I plan to go out again, but what do you think of my first attempt, and what should I change?

One of my best shots - I did several edits..

$DSC_0206-2.webp vs $DSC_0206-2-2.webp vs $Train2.webp vs $Train3.webp

Here's another..

$DSC_0117-2.webp

C&C appreciated.

Thanks!
 
Not a bad start, however I think shooting from the other side (or shooting at a time of day when the side you were on was better lit) and using a polarizing filter to control reflections would have improved them significantly.
 
Yeah, I meant to shoot from the other side but was too worried about getting hit by the train that I didn't want to try getting different positions, but next time I'll try the other side as I'm getting more confident. I was definitely thinking about filters while I took this. I was actually thinking of a ND filter with synch flash to make sort of a ghost train effect xD. I'll have to look into polarizing filters though too.
 
Hmmm, a 55mm lens, standing on a live rail road track.......Hope you have a will. You're going to need it real soon.

Rail fanning is a big hobby and there are some rules for your safety, and that of the train, that you need to learn. The pictures are not to bad, but certainly not worth your life.
 
Just to point out, and yes I know people take photographs on railroads all the time, but the railroad owns the right of way where the tracks are. They frown on people trespassing on their right of way so don't get caught!
 
I like the second frame the most. It has some sky above, the front of the engine looks good, and overall the exposure looks good. The B&W is "okay", but I prefer the deep blue sky of the second shot of Amtrak 157. I don't see much need for a polarizer really. In the shot of the yellow CSX locomotive 5214, the vanishing point of the closest tracks takes the eye right OUT of the frame, and also there's almost no top space above the front of the locomotive. The problem I've experienced in my limited photographing of trains is that they move...quite fast some times...so the composing is done on the fly quite often.
 
The composition on the first 4 is better than the last one, but the last one is the one that would have been the best had you had more sky and less track (the train being in the lower right corner rather than the top of the frame).
 
I like the second frame the most. It has some sky above, the front of the engine looks good, and overall the exposure looks good. The B&W is "okay", but I prefer the deep blue sky of the second shot of Amtrak 157. I don't see much need for a polarizer really. In the shot of the yellow CSX locomotive 5214, the vanishing point of the closest tracks takes the eye right OUT of the frame, and also there's almost no top space above the front of the locomotive. The problem I've experienced in my limited photographing of trains is that they move...quite fast some times...so the composing is done on the fly quite often.

Okay, so would you say it looks alright without cropping out the trees on the right side of the frame? And yes... very fast. When it went by me, the wind and force literally knocked me back a few feet.

As for you guys worried about my safety, don't worry, I'm more than selfish enough to not die trying to get a good picture. I stayed well away from those monsters, and I know being on the rails probably freaks the train driver out, so I'm not going to do it TOO often. Just until I get the perfect shot.
 
I thought that small bit of tree at the top right side, and the trees at the bottom edge,right side of the frame were what separated #2 out as the best shot, as opposed to #3. The trees on the right hand side give a subtle clue that both sides of the tracks have trees, close to the tracks. We can see the other side has trees close-in; just getting that tiny sliver of trees on the right, top, as well as the bottom right, allows the mind to mentally "fill-in" what the scene is actually like.
 
Fast trains can create vacuum thats called back draft that can blow you over or suck you under,You may want to be aware of that a never stand to close as it passes by you. You been warned. I have many friends and some family members that either work or worked for Amtrak or Metro North. I have heard horror stories that would probably make most people sick.
 
Fast trains can create vacuum thats called back draft that can blow you over or suck you under,You may want to be aware of that a never stand to close as it passes by you. You been warned. I have many friends and some family members that either work or worked for Amtrak or Metro North. I have heard horror stories that would probably make most people sick.

No doubt, the ticket prices can be insane!
 
Fast trains can create vacuum thats called back draft that can blow you over or suck you under,You may want to be aware of that a never stand to close as it passes by you. You been warned. I have many friends and some family members that either work or worked for Amtrak or Metro North. I have heard horror stories that would probably make most people sick.

No doubt, the ticket prices can be insane!
Well they had to raise the prices after all they man power to clean up the body parts.:puke: Oops did i just say that, my bad.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom