My first try at portrait lighting, and composition

BLD_007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I got my package today from BnH. Two vivitar 285s, 3 PocketWizards, two stands + umbrellas

Also a 24-70 2.8 L

Here is my first try at portrait lighting and off camera lighting.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/47802301@N03/4385374375/

What do you think? I don't think its half bad for only having the stuff out of the box less than 20min.

Damn, I just saw that its tilted. O well, it was just for fun

first off, from what I've seen in my short time here, if you post a link to a picture, you won't get as much C&C...

"][COLOR=

Second... You should definitely be zoomed a bit closer to him and make a tighter crop on the top... All the stuff at the top is distracting... He only takes up the lower right 25% of the frame... That definitely doesn't sit well with most photographers...

Keep in mind, I am by no means an expert, I am simply going from experience from what I've read "better photographers" saying in their C&C on things ;)

first off, from what I've seen in my short time here, if you post a link to a picture, you won't get as much C&C...

4385374375_7bfb984689.jpg

Second... You should definitely be zoomed a bit closer to him and make a tighter crop on the top... All the stuff at the top is distracting... He only takes up the lower right 25% of the frame... That definitely doesn't sit well with most photographers...

Keep in mind, I am by no means an expert, I am simply going from experience from what I've read "better photographers" saying in their C&C on things ;)

Thats me btw =p

Also, that thing hanging on the wall is our Fraternities shield. There is only 4 of them in the world and we have one of em. I was trying to get it in the shot as well.

I also was wanting to light a fire but could not find the lighter lol.

my advice for that then would be maybe to get a chair and stand on it so that your head is closer to the shield... Then you wouldn't have as much "dead space" in the frame...

Again, these are just my suggestions and I am by no means a pro... Take this with a grain of salt :)

I think this shot would have had more potential if you were standing by the fire place and by moving the camera a little more to the right. Great try!

my advice for that then would be maybe to get a chair and stand on it so that your head is closer to the shield... Then you wouldn't have as much "dead space" in the frame...

Again, these are just my suggestions and I am by no means a pro... Take this with a grain of salt :)

Yea, this was my first shot at it. I will try standing on a chair to get the angle I'm wanting.

Thanks

Strobist is your friend

background is distracting, and the subject is a little to small for the surroundings

Composition is poor. If you still have your mind set about getting that shield in the shot try positioning the camera lower so it's almost looking up at you.

I like the idea of you standing by the fireplace, or on a chair of some kind.. or angling the camera a bit differently. A portrait doesn't have to be sitting down... Standing at the fireplace, with a fire going, would give the fraternity vibe also, which is kinda what you'd like to catch.. and maybe wear clothing that has the frat symbol (whatever it is) on it tying the whole thing together? Maybe a little too put together?

Last edited:
On the plus side you did a pretty good job with the new lights and you are in focus and posed well.
I agree with everyone before me though, you have to get closer to the shield so you are a larger part of the picture.
Also consider that if you want the shield in the picture and it is part of the picture then it should probably be in focus. To do that you will need to use a smaller f stop. Like f11 so your dof can include you and the shield.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back