My first wedding consultation....

And what do you mean by aiming to my "business stuff". Willing to learn anything new!

The consulation is every bit as important as the event, and for a wedding, especially so. The first thing is to determine what the bride and groom would like as an end-product. Ensure that there is a clear understanding between you and them as to what is expected and what will be delivered. This must also be VERY clearly spelled out in your contract.

Ensure that you know exactly when and where you are expected to be, and for how long. Ask for a list of 'must have' shots and ensure (in the case of people) you know who the subjects are. If this is a church wedding, you will also have to meet with the deacon/pastor to discuss what is and is not allowed within the church before, during and after the ceremony.

Discuss locations for the 'formals' if desired and as well as an alternate (Murphy's Law is always at work). Ensure timings are reasonable. Brides & grooms often think that formals for 20 can be completed in fifteen minutes. I generally give them a time estimate of twice what I think I will need hoping to get at least half of what I want.

If possible, have them bring the Maid/Matron of Honour or get her contact info as well as that of the wedding planner if there is one. You'll need help from both of these people to locate family members, "herd the cats" and so forth.

A few tips: Vist each venue ahead of time, at about the time you'll be there to shoot to get an idea of the light and conditions. Note parking locations and ensure you have sufficient change for meters/parking fees. Know how long it will take to get from 'A' to 'B' to 'C' etc. Make sure you have a list of cell #s for all the key players.

MOST IMPORANTLY: Reveiw the contract, get it signed and GET THEIR DEPOSIT!

Good luck!

Well i do edit each photo to the full....they are my favorites and my clients are very happy with them...can you tell me a photo in particular
Nessy... if you can't look at your photos and tell which ones are less than technically perfect.... you are definitely not ready to shoot as a professional....
Cgipson whats ypur website so i can see what a professional looks like....and you being a professional photographer dosent give you the right to be a professional jackass on someone who only want to learn! Great thanks for your opinion though!

Hmmm... for some reason your images weren't displaying at first. Now that I've seen them, like the others, I have some concerns. You have some very artisically creative images, but almost all of them have technical issues ranging from moderate to severe. At a minimum, I would strongly recommend a LOT more practice with your lighting before the event.

Well i do edit each photo to the full....they are my favorites and my clients are very happy with them...can you tell me a photo in particular
Nessy... if you can't look at your photos and tell which ones are less than technically perfect.... you are definitely not ready to shoot as a professional....
Cgipson whats ypur website so i can see what a professional looks like....and you being a professional photographer dosent give you the right to be a professional jackass on someone who only want to learn! Great thanks for your opinion though!
Cool your jets! That was NOT a jackass comment, but a statement of fact.

I am just being honest! Sorry you don't like the answer! If you can't tell a good shot from a bad shot.. how can you possibly deliver a quality product?

I quit shooting as a pro back in the late 80's... just shoot for fun now.... ;)

I think you could be ready for it depending on the client and how big the wedding is. You may want to ask around with photog friends if anyone wants to be your second and has nice zoom. You need a partner. It will make somethings easier like the ceremony, VERY important, and taking pictures of guest afterwards at the reception. Read this thread: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/professional-gallery/20069-hot-tips-wedding-photography.html. Its a very good read. Print the checklist! Use the checklist! Ask where the events will be held and who is in charge of the places.

Ok well im really trying to learn. I only started. 6 months ago and taught myself everything so far. I just invested in a 50mm 1.4 which should help with my lighting. But i dont know any other way to learn. :/

Thank you so much disko! So great! Ive gained a little bit of my confidence back! Lol

Ok well im really trying to learn. I only started. 6 months ago and taught myself everything so far. I just invested in a 50mm 1.4 which should help with my lighting. But i dont know any other way to learn. :/
:lol: :lol:

Nessy.. what equipment do you have?

Thank you so much disko! So great! Ive gained a little bit of my confidence back! Lol

Do you have a 70-200 f2.8 zoom? if not you will need to rent or borrow one. You will not get intimate ceremony shots without this.

How about you just list your full equipment list?

Sigh. "help with my lighting" ? Not really? It may help you to get shots in the low lighting that is already there, but that certainly isn't "your" lighting.

DiskoJoe said:
Do you have a 70-200 f2.8 zoom? if not you will need to rent or borrow one. You will not get intimate ceremony shots without this.

How about you just list your full equipment list?

You've gotten some really great advice from everyone. My first weddings were as a second photographer and it has helped me immensely. The zoom lens is a MUST but also a wide angle for pictures of the dance floor and guests at the tables. I can't stress enough how beneficial being a a second shooter is. A wedding is a lot more work than you think.

^^^^

wide angle is good for family shots with 4 or more people. This will happen.

Most reactions

Back