My first wedding shoot

DiskoJoe

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These were actually from a wedding I did back in september but I have never posted the full set. Let me know what you guys think. I was the only shooter. No back up unfortunately.

The really funky edits were only for my flickr. The shots I gave them were bw or traditional color like seen in the ceremony shots.

1. Groom getting ready

groom bw by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
2. outtake

getting ready by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
3. best men

best men bw by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
4. brides maid

brides maid by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
5. Grandma - after the wedding I was told that this shot was a miracle because this woman does not let anyone take her picture. I loved her hat.

6. Father of the groom. He never stopped smiling the whole day. Great guy.

FATHER of the Groom by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
grandma bw by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
7. Grandpa - he footed a lot of the bill

grandpa granddaughter by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
8. The moment we all came for....

vows bw by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
10. This one speaks for itself

justmarried by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
9. Its starting to set in for them.

just married bw by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
11. The bride was nervous and put the ring on the wrong hand.

RINGS BW by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
12. I love this one

seize the moment by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
13. quick shot after the ceremony

smiles by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
14. The band - Great band!

the singer by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
15. outtake - gq pose

gq pose by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
16. another out take - these two were lots of fun.

Arms Raised to the Sky by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
17. The bride specifically requested this shot

heidi sunset pose by DiskoJoe, on Flickr
18. I wish I had scooted back a bit and got all of her necklace in this shot. Family still loved it though.

heidi high key by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

Last edited:
Sick white photo bro.

I hit the return button by accident and it posted the thread before I could post the pics. There are pics now. haters! lol

You definitely have some fill light issues but I must say, you are a brave to tackle a first wedding with no backup. How did the bride and groom like them? Although you have a lot to work on they are not a disaster. #16 is my favorite, I just don't like the processing and soft focus. So know that you have done a wedding on your own how do you feel?

I hit the return button by accident and it posted the thread before I could post the pics. There are pics now. haters! lol

Please, you know you love us! :D

i do actually or I would not share my work with you. Had to make some sort opf a crack since I got three messages in less than 3 mins.

You definitely have some fill light issues but I must say, you are a brave to tackle a first wedding with no backup. How did the bride and groom like them? Although you have a lot to work on they are not a disaster. #16 is my favorite, I just don't like the processing and soft focus. So know that you have done a wedding on your own how do you feel?

I did not have a flash. So I had to work with what I had. This will not happen again. I have good lenses which helped alot but a flash was really needed. After doing it on my own I feel confident enough to do it again but will have back up for at least during the ceremony. I wish I could have got shots from both sides but did not want to be to intrusive and moving around alot during this part. I have an arrangement with a photog friend were he will be my 2nd for future events. The processing was a lot more intensive then I was expecting. This is only a small piece of what I shot that day. This was the real work. It tool me days to do all the edits and tried to get them as close to each other as possible but not as easy as I thought. I have learned many tricks on here since then. So next wedding should be even better. Definitely a learning experience but it was inspiring to know that the bride and groom and many family members really loved them even if they werent perfect.

Remeber, fill light does not automaticaly mean flash or speedlights, or monlights. A reflector can go a long way. I ahve even used a white pillow as a fill one time. Now the ceremony pictures are something differant. I think you did a good job. It is the posed shot that you just need to slow a tiny bit down and fill in shadow and meter correctly. Even if the all the groom wants to do is get to the reception and drink, get the bride on your side and make him stand there just a minute longer so you can get the right exposure. (true story) :) Looks like the bride and groom you worked with were pretty cool.

I hope they didn't pay you for this.

.. Couldn't resist.

Last edited by a moderator:
The big thing...

Ever think about turning your camera to portrait orientation? People are tall and skinny, not short and wide, after all..

(sorry for stealing your thunder Derrel)

You crazy you.. no flash!

Shoothing with no flash is about being at the right spot. Once you kinda know what is going on, you know whether something will look good without flash or not. Dont bother shooting it if you know it is going to be bad. You have to stand where you think you will get good light. Then when you shoot formal, you make them stand wherever you think will give you the best light. You control the shots.. you are the boss.

omg I love Judge Joe Brown. Listen to him know his stuff!!!

The big thing...

Ever think about turning your camera to portrait orientation? People are tall and skinny, not short and wide, after all..

(sorry for stealing your thunder Derrel)

LOL, yes, Darrel would be all over this. Good point. I really should have got more shots in portrait mode then I did.

Most reactions

Back