MY FIRST WEDDING!

Thanks Destin! That was the kind of advice I was looking for. I don't think you come off as arrogant, how else will I know what I need to work on if someone doesn't tell me? I appreciate the criticism. Focus has been something that I have been consistently improving on and still will until then. There's still a lot to learn... I'm a big beleiver in always learning and fine tuning your craft.

I sincerely appreciate your help!

With that attitude, you'll fit in well here. Most people come on here expecting us to ooh and ahh over their photos, and the minute we start picking things out that need improvement, they get all butt hurt, call us pricks, and never come back. For real. Happens at least once a week on here.

Welcome to the forum, I look forward to seeing more of your work!

"My main thing right now is making sure I have the proper equipment soon so that I am comfortable with it by September."

I suggest waiting until August to worry about it. The freedom of not knowing how to use the "proper equipment" will give your shots that something special someone who knows what they are doing couldn't give them.

"My main thing right now is making sure I have the proper equipment soon so that I am comfortable with it by September."

I suggest waiting until August to worry about it. The freedom of not knowing how to use the "proper equipment" will give your shots that something special someone who knows what they are doing couldn't give them.

Not sure what you mean by that.

I think orljustin is hitting on the business aspect of her venture. the most important one, ya know? but who cares, the industry is rife with unregulated, unprofessional, start a business on a whim cavalier attitudes - so whatever. the more unregulated you are, the better deal you can give to the consumers... on the front end. right before they get the product. i'm not against the OP by the way, just recognizing the facts. but chances are, the BBB won't be contacted and she won't get sued for the bride getting no pics due to a broken camera and no back up, so no problem.

Your saying not knowing your equipment might give you better results?

I wouldnt agree with that. Know your equipment in and out. Start to understand lighting so you can ball park manual exposure and be within a 1/2 stop or so without thinking much. You can then devote your time to trying new, and interesting compositions.

What happens if you get great composition, but underexposed shots that are not focused correctly?

I never said those words. That thought never even crossed my mind. It doesn't make sense to me that not knowing my equipment would make my results better. If that were the case I wouldn't have posted about it this far in advance.

It's not you that said it. Someone unhelpful posted that you shouldn't worry about getting equipment ahead of time. People here can be pretty sarcastic. ;)

^^^^Nominated for post of the day!!! LOL

sorry, i guess i missed that part. my apologies

My first wedding by myself was a referral from the studio I used to work for. Because they trained me they were confident in recommending me when a bride to be called them and they were already booked for her day. Definitely get the training before you go out on your own.

Oops that response was for a different thread. My bad. Unless that advice helps you too?

Last edited:
It's not you that said it. Someone unhelpful posted that you shouldn't worry about getting equipment ahead of time. People here can be pretty sarcastic. ;)

At least someone can pick out sarcasm. I know I'd want my wedding photographer to have something aside from 3 months of "practice" before my special day.

Yeah, frankly I don't get why everyone is being so accepting of this particular photographer, when clearly previous would-be photographers saying the same stuff got attacked like a man wearing a meat suit at a dog pound.

Yeah, frankly I don't get why everyone is being so accepting of this particular photographer, when clearly previous would-be photographers saying the same stuff got attacked like a man wearing a meat suit at a dog pound.

I am trying to be more helpful, and less rude.. to those that at least appear to have something decent in their portfolio, and are going about it the right way (second shooting, etc). I only saw a couple on the OP's site that were framed really tight, or had feet cut off.. not every other one, like usual! Exposures were ok in general, and it looks like she might know how to use a flash!

Those that can't shoot, have really crappy photos, and are bragging about getting a "gig".... well, no promises there! ;)

Mebbe the dogs wuz already fed and they's not hungry any more?

I suspect that because unlike a lot of posters, the OP here isn't shooting a wedding next weekend, has lots of lead-time, and appears to be working the right direction with contracts, gear, etc, but you're right, there have been similar posts who've been flayed alive...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back