My garden critters

Stormchase

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It has been a little while since i have gotten the chance to get out and shoot. I decided to stay in the back yard and was granted with a few shots.

1.) I have been working on shooting LIVE bugs and getting better at it insted of DEAD ones wich are much easier but live is fun lately.
~Long legged fly~
Shot with 90mm macro @1:1
1/250
F/2.8
ISO400

4709610463_b1687f9388_b.jpg

2.) This was a fly I found that I could use an ID on if anyone knows. I cant seem to track it down on the ID charts... I think the star on its head is intresting (between the eyes)
~unknown~
90mm 1:1 hand held
F/2.8
1/30
ISO400
+0.5 step exposure

4710242984_603a1ca63b_b.jpg

3.) This guy is locked in my patio. It will not go out. I hold the door and all but I guess its happy there. Its getting a little more tame and camera friendly. I forgot about my -0.5 exposure from shooting a white flower before and had to fix in DPP. love the pose but not sure about the shot.
~Cuban brown anole~
90mm 1:1
F/11
1/60
ISO800 (Im grainy at 800) :banghead: I used a bit of NR but still not happy.
What do you think?

4709592117_9a3a720482_b.jpg

4.)I saw it popping its head out of my un-cut grass in my back yard. Cought up with it in my flower pot. He said Hello to all lol. I know I missed the eye on it but thought I would share.
~Southern black racer snake~
90mm 1:2
F/4.5
1/30
ISO100

4709599929_fce4c597e0_b.jpg

Thanks for looking and feel free to comment!!

my favorite is the first I have never really tried macro it looks like alotta fun :)

macro photography is awesome! :thumbup: love the perspective. gives us a new look at life that the naked eye can't see.

my favorite is the first I have never really tried macro it looks like alotta fun :)

macro photography is awesome! :thumbup: love the perspective. gives us a new look at life that the naked eye can't see.

Yup, I always wondered where those flies were like in the first photo. I thought they were in some other country until I looked real close. They are just really small lol. I enjoy it!

The lizard and snake r great! I'm really digging the snake!

Ive recently started doing these as well :D very fun stuff.... Pick up a flash if possible and itll make your macro life much easier :D.

Thanks Katy, Its my first snake shot. ;)
j-digg,
Yeah true on the flash. None of these have a flash. I have been looking at different setups but they are all pretty pricey. It might be a couple months before i can save up :( I can get a ring flash for cheaper but right now im thinking of a duel setup. I think im due for a new tripod too. The one i have is not very capable for macro..

+1 on flash. It'll let you use a smaller aperture and lower iso - still getting a sharp picture because the flash duration is extremely short and freezes motion.

If you masked the little guy off from the background in #3 you could aggressively take care of the noise without killing the detail on the anole. I really like the first one even though the plane of focus is razor thin. Looks like a fun lens, I'd love to have something like that..

The snake is so cute.
Great shots, detail is awesome..

If you masked the little guy off from the background in #3 you could aggressively take care of the noise without killing the detail on the anole.

Sorry but what do you mean. I would love to learn more.

If you masked the little guy off from the background in #3 you could aggressively take care of the noise without killing the detail on the anole.

If you have learned how to use layers, he means use one layer for the subject and use a seperate layer for using noise reduction on the background, this will allow you to take care of the BG noise without hurting the detail on the anole(?) at all. Hmm, Im not sure Ive simplified anything at all here lol.

If you have learned how to use layers, he means use one layer for the subject and use a seperate layer for using noise reduction on the background, this will allow you to take care of the BG noise without hurting the detail on the anole(?) at all. Hmm, Im not sure Ive simplified anything at all here lol.
lol hmm i now know its layers but i dont really have any PP softwere. I think i understand tho. I just have digital photo pro that came with me camera. I dont think you can do layers with DPP.

Ron, They are numbered in the begining of the description and i notice how it can easily get looked past. Thanks for pointing that out and compliments!

Definitely check out GIMP, its the "poor mans photoshop" ( free ) It has a pretty steep learning curve if you havent used something like it before but it can do some great stuff and there are tonnnns of tutorials on the net, including youtube thatll teach you how to do pretty much anything with it... it will really open up an absurd amount of doors and possibilities for the PPing your images.

Most reactions

Back