Photos OK to edit
I've got better and better at this, here are some of my better ones

hdrlandscapecopy.jpg

Untitled_HDR4.jpg

Untitled_HDR3.jpg

Untitled_HDR2-1.jpg

bikeHDR2copy.jpg

Well, the first one is interesting.

On the second and fourth I can't really see any evidence of HDR (which could be a good thing but I can't see any reason why it might have been needed).

No 3 has that HDR signature 'glow' but again, I can't see why you'd need to use HDR on that scene.

The final shot looks as if it needed at least one slightly longer exposure to bring out a bit more detail. (Similarly with shot no. 4, actually as there is no detail behind the very end of the chromed exhaust.)

Edit: Looking at the last shot again, you really have got that bike looking very good indeed - perhaps it doesn't need any more shadow detail.

Last edited:
i like how subtle you have made it, really hate when they turn out cartoonish

#2 is my favourite tbh.
#1 is over exposed
#4 is nice ON THE CAR but there is still not allot of detail in the sky (unless there wasn't any detail at time of shooting...)
i would like it to have been a little more exposed on the exhaust and in the shaddow though

#5, nice Selective de-saturation but i dont see why that would have needed HDR (looks normal)
(Y)

thanks for the comments, I try to keep them as real looking as possible, I don't like the cartoonish style HDR pictures you tend to see

I like number 4 and 5 a lot. Number 3 has a very annoying Halo. Number 2 lacks contrast everywhere, and I can't imagine that HDR was appropriate (in my eyes) for this photos. The first one completely defeats the point though and no offence (because this is my opinion only) it looks rather horrid due to the HDR effect, while the highlights are still extremely blown.

Like you I tend to favour realism over cartoonish drug-addict colours and contrast. Have you considered doing manual exposure blending for some photos like the first one to bring out the details? Basically start with your multiple exposures and import them as layers on top of each other in Photoshop or GIMP or any other layer supporting photo editor, and rather than use brightness and contrast adjustments, mask layers in an out as appropriate.

Or in the case of the first one use a wide range of photos, and then set the radius of effect really large, and then play with the gamma.

I like number 4 and 5 a lot. Number 3 has a very annoying Halo. Number 2 lacks contrast everywhere, and I can't imagine that HDR was appropriate (in my eyes) for this photos. The first one completely defeats the point though and no offence (because this is my opinion only) it looks rather horrid due to the HDR effect, while the highlights are still extremely blown.

Like you I tend to favour realism over cartoonish drug-addict colours and contrast. Have you considered doing manual exposure blending for some photos like the first one to bring out the details? Basically start with your multiple exposures and import them as layers on top of each other in Photoshop or GIMP or any other layer supporting photo editor, and rather than use brightness and contrast adjustments, mask layers in an out as appropriate.

Or in the case of the first one use a wide range of photos, and then set the radius of effect really large, and then play with the gamma.

thanks for the info, i'll try and do the layer thing next time

Most reactions

New Topics

Back