My image requested for a movie. Legal advice?

Josh220

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have been approached by someone to use one of my images in a movie due to release in 2012 as a background on a computer in one of the scenes. Assuming it checks out and everything is legitimate, should I be expecting any type of credit or payment, or should I just be flattered and accept bragging rights? Do I have a right to ask for an endorsement or payment of some sort?

I will have to sign a form authorizing my permission, but I am just wondering what to expect.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Hi and congrats!

My husband is in the movie business. He recommends you definitely get bragging rights as well as an endorsement. Make sure your name/business is in the credits at the end of movie too.

After you've signed proper papers for them using your image, you can promote the movie to build up excitement. Show the directors/producers you are fully supporting their movie, since they will be using your image. And then maybe on the next movie they'll call you for more images or even possibly be the behind the scenes photogrpaher, which they would totally have you in their budget by then.

Yeah! How exciting! Good luck and let us know what happends!
-N : )

One more thing, just be careful if you decided to ask for a payment. Most of the time "movie people" can get images from a stock of images in a library at post-production, which are free for them. They must really Love your image to want to use it
(>.<)
Post it on here of you can, I'd love to see it
Take care

Make sure you have your image registered with the Copyright bureau in your country, I don't know where Irrelevant is located. Then speak to an attorney to get proper legal advice, because photographers are notoriously a poor choice.

Thanks, I appreciate it! I haven't asked for any payment, and didn't plan on it; I figured they had the mentality that you explained. I did, however, ask if I would receive any benefits so hopefully he did not take it in a negative tone. I will know tomorrow if I fudged the communications.

Wish me luck, I'll post up the details and picture if I hear back from them tomorrow.

I'll post the picture when I get a chance. I'll be receiving a small payment but I will not receive a credit at the end. :(

Well, just got home a little bit ago and Sony Pictures did in fact use my image in 21 Jump Street. It's only for a few seconds but still pretty cool since it's a fairly large scale movie with Channing Tatum, Jonah Hill, and Johnny Depp.

This was a rough edit that Sony Pictures and I went over a few months ago, not the final piece... But it gives you an idea how they used it. The original can be viewed on my website.

Thanks!

$image001.jpg

For every second displayed... $60. Thats the going rate.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back