My kids on the beach..

TamiAz

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm having so much fun taking pictures on the beach since I don't get to very often. Here's a few I took today.

9112214295_cfc2060a46_z.jpg

9112217241_668012c7fc_z.jpg

9112219459_6203aac527_z.jpg

Beautiful tones.

That girl doesn't look like she's having a good time lol.

Thanks, ladies.. :)

That girl doesn't look like she's having a good time lol.

What, you've never taken a picture where someone wasn't smiling?? I take pictures of my kids in all sorts of moods... No need to limit the pictures I take.

Nice kid pictures
In #2, if there's lots of empty space, I suggest you crop it off rather than making that huge vignette

$9112217241_668012c7fc_zlll.jpg

I think #2 is a great "serious" portrait. For me, it reveals much more about her character than a put-on camera smile.

Thanks, ladies.. :)

What, you've never taken a picture where someone wasn't smiling?? I take pictures of my kids in all sorts of moods... No need to limit the pictures I take.

Calm down, I was just making a joke. FWIW, I rarely smile for photo's either :)

Last edited:
Looks to me like a curves adjustment: Grab the dead center of the curve, and lift straight up to taste.

Looks to me like a curves adjustment: Grab the dead center of the curve, and lift straight up to taste.

Okay, please don't shoot me for this one---curves in LR or PS? I have both but am so new to PS that I really know nada. I don't get much time to use it.

EDIT: Photoshop it seems it the answer. And I found this video which shows how to do much of the same thing using LR4.

[video]http://tv.adobe.com/watch/learn-lightroom-4/adjustments-with-tone-curves/[/video]

Last edited:
Either one! I was talking about GIMP, actually, but they should all work pretty much the same ;)

The effect in all cases is roughly:

a little more contrast in the darker tones
a little less contrast in the lighter tones
a generally lighter flavor in the midtones, where skin usually lives

Here's a before and after:

$foo.jpg

and here's the curve that made the After:

$chart.jpg

If this isn't what you're seeing that you like, sorry ;) I like it, though!

Beautiful tones.

Indeed, but can somebody (OP?) please tell me how to get these effects in post processing?

Thanks!

I used a Lightroom preset I purchased through Clickinmoms and then tweaked it a bit to tone it down. I adjusted the blue and aqua for the water and sky. I added a tiny bit of haze then I took it into PS and used a soft light blending mode and brought down the opacity.

The single most-valuable tool is the Curves tool. Well, make that the crop tool. THEN the curves tool. No, not kidding either.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back