My lens aperture is open halfway at rest.... Is this normal? Nikon 10-24mm.

Yomo710

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello.

I have a Nikon 10-24mm AF-S Nikkor f/3.5-4.5G DX ED that I love. I have a question though, my aperture at rest is open about halfway. Is this normal or not? I will attach a photo.
mlkBa6P.jpg

Once I attach the lens to my body, the aperture starts off at 4.5, which is normal, and goes to 3.5. The lens seems to shoot fine, it's just that all of my other lenses have closed apertures at rest.

It looks closed all the way to me. But I haven't handled that lens for years.

What happens when you shoot at minimum aperture?

It looks closed all the way to me. But I haven't handled that lens for years.

What happens when you shoot at minimum aperture?

Thanks for your response! The picture comes out fine, I think it does at least. I shot at 3.5 and it was fine, also 4.5. I just assumed that the aperture has to be closed, as in the least amount of space possible, like the 18-55, 18-200, etc.

When off the camera, it should close to minimum. F/22 for this lens, if memory serves. Which is what it looks like.

Again, what happens when you shoot at f/22?

When off the camera, it should close to minimum. F/22 for this lens, if memory serves. Which is what it looks like.

How do i shoot at f/22?

it's really bright if i do so.

Yes, it is normal.

When a Nikon lens is removed from the camera the lens aperture closes to it's smallest opening.
When the lens is re-mounted on the camera the lens aperture opens to it's widest opening.

If you look at the lens side of the mount you will see the aperture lever tab and you can manually move it and open the lens aperture.
If you look at the camera side of the lens, you can see the lens aperture motor tab that pushes the lens aperture lever to set the lens aperture according to the camera lens aperture settings.

600px-Micro-Nikkor_AFS_VR_105_mm_lens_bayonet.jpg

800px-Nikon_D70_img_0725.jpg

Yes, it is normal.

When a Nikon lens is removed from the camera the lens aperture closes to it's smallest opening.
When the lens is re-mounted on the camera the lens aperture opens to it's widest opening.

If you look at the lens side of the mount you will see the aperture lever tab and you can manually move it and open the lens aperture.
If you look at the camera side of the lens, you can see the lens aperture motor tab that pushes the lens aperture lever to set the lens aperture according to the camera lens aperture settings.

600px-Micro-Nikkor_AFS_VR_105_mm_lens_bayonet.jpg

800px-Nikon_D70_img_0725.jpg

Sure, thanks for the explanation. But even with the aperture tab on the lens resting, my aperture is still 1/3 open instead of it being f/22. Is this normal?

Yomo, I am no expert, but that does not look like smallest aperture to me. Most of my lenses when removed are smaller than that. If you look at the picture posted above, try moving the aperture adjustment up and down manually so that you take it from smallest to largest and see if it closes more than that, I am betting it will.

As far as it being that open when off the camera, maybe there is something internally wrong with it - not sure if that necessarily affects IQ of it or not.

Yomo, I am no expert, but that does not look like smallest aperture to me. Most of my lenses when removed are smaller than that. If you look at the picture posted above, try moving the aperture adjustment up and down manually so that you take it from smallest to largest and see if it closes more than that, I am betting it will.

As far as it being that open when off the camera, maybe there is something internally wrong with it - not sure if that necessarily affects IQ of it or not.

That's what I was thinking. Ill take it to the shop. It;s probably a spring.

On my old manual Nikon lenses the "at rest" position is determined by what f-stop is set on the barrel of the lens. Moving the lever on the back opens the iris and if you let the lever go the lens moves to the setting on the barrel f4 or whatever.

Modern G-series Nikkor lenses default to minimum aperture when off the camera. I don't recall ever hearing of ANY of them having the ability to be closed to f/8 or f/4 or f/11 or anything other than the minimum.

OP: you say the image is 'bright' when shooting at f/22. The next question is: were you shooting an 'average' scene and set for a 'proper' exposure? Also, are you expecting the aperture to close completely, as in let NO light in? If so, this is in error. If aperture blades were capable of that, then you would have no light to expose the image.

I am quite sure your lens has problem. It should close to a smaller aperture than in the picture. The fact that it's bright when you shoot at f/22 means that the camera thinks it's shooting at f/22 but the actual aperture is larger due to the problem of the lens.

Looking through my 50, which has an aperture ring, that about matches f:8.

If you move that level while holding the lens in your hand, does the lever move a bit before the aperture changes? If so, then the iris leaves are jammed by something. If the iris changes immediately, then the whole shebang is out of whack and you may not have a correct aperture setting in the lens at all!

Looking through my 50, which has an aperture ring, that about matches f:8........

Keep in mind........ F/8 is a fraction, not a direct, single measurement like 1 inch or 1 centimeter. The "F" stands for 'Focal length'. F/8 for one lens will not look the same as f/8 on another. Another factor is modern lenses use a retrofocus design in order to make them small and, in shorter (wide-angle) lengths, clear the mirror in the camera. This will affect the 'visual size' of the aperture.

Most reactions

Back