My lens dilemma

BJPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to start photographing more outdoors in different lighting. I photograph people mostly. Beach scenes, park, etc. I am using a Sony A100 camera at the moment. Ive had it for almost 4 years now. Yeah, I wanna switch it out eventually but its what Ive got for now. I want to get a new lens. Im not sure if I should go with a prime 50 or something else. I want something versatile but not super spendy as I plan on replacing my camera at some point. Any ideas on a good lens for me in the meantime?

I have three that I bounce between. I have my minolta 49mm macro. I have another minolta 72-210 and just the stock 18-70 lens that came with the camera when I bought it. Ive borrowed a few lens from friends before but want to stop borrowing and get one for myself.

First question adn most important one what do you plan to use it for, will you be taking indoor, outdoor , during th e day or night time photos? Then you wana visit lens here. it might really help. try it and post thanks.

Well, you seem to have a nice range of focal lengths. I would question wanting a 50mm since you have the 49mm, but I guess that comes down to how fast the 49mm, and your other lenses are.

As I mentioned in the initial post, I plan on using it during the day in a beachy or park setting mostly. Sunrise/sunset and daylight.

In what settings would you use the lens I have for? I use my stock one mostly with quick shots of the family, etc. I love the 49mm but I have to crop and pull up on most of the shots and take them from a distance because its a macro. The telephoto doesnt have a long focal length on it. I dont know. I guess I wanted something like a 28-135 zoom or something. Maybe I dont need one. Im new. Who knows. LOL.

What are the maximum apertures of the lenses? It will be displayed 1:2.5 or 1:3.5-5.6 or even just f/1.8.

My guess is you have a 49mm f/1.7

The lens itself says AF Lens 50. In another area on the lens it says 50mm 1:1.7 (22).

When you say you want to switch out your cam, are you planning on staying with Sony or moving to Canon or Nikon? If you're going to stay with Sony, then price becomes irrelevant as you will keep all of your glass.

Macro typically defines the closest focusing distance of a lens. Overread can correct me.

The 50mm wouldn't give you anything more than the 49mm, really, but if the 49mm has a maximum aperture of say f/5.6, it is not a fast lens, and you need more light. It also won't get you the nice creamy blurred backgrounds. A 50mm f/1.8 can be used in lower light, and will give you creamy blurred backgrounds for great subject background seperation.

Are you familiar with how Depth of Field works?

A 28mm-135mm would be a good walk around lens. You pretty much have that focal range covered between two lenses. You just wouldn't have to swap lenses as often.

Last edited:
In what settings would you use the lens I have for?

Loaded question!

I walk around with a 28-75mm, and 100-400mm. Which I use depends what I see that I want to capture. I use the 100-400mm the most, and it's not just to get stuff thats far away, it's also for tight frames on whats near. So really, it all depends on your creative vision of how you want to capture what. If that makes sense?

All landscape photography doesn't have to be done with wide angle lenses, for instance. It's just typically what people do.

Thanks for the input. I want good sharp beach photos. I found my stock lens isnt so great or Im doing something wrong to keep the pictures from being slightly out of focus. I think its the lens. Ive used a tripod and it still does it. I want to take photos of people on the beach. I think the 49mm that I have is fast but would be better in low light settings; not outside in the sunshine. The telephoto one I have is good but its heavy. I am going to read up on the 28-75mm. Might see if I can find one cheap to try out. I want to try out what I want so when I buy my new camera I'll know what Im getting and doing.

Most reactions

Back