My macro shots...

Colorful word...

28147190422_1885c7bac0_h.jpg

28173414771_06eafd8fdc_h.jpg

Stack of 17 photos.

Cheers

My macro extension tubes arrived today.

With 36mm of tube i get double the magnification :)

28010588110_7caadb2ef7_h.jpg

28188063662_37f8f32f28_h.jpg

This last one is with maximum crop.
27676758113_7ae04d86e5_o.jpg

I'm getting there.
I can already show the holes on these beautiful eyes :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Question.

How in the heck do you guys get these things to stay in place for stacked images?

These are really great! Are you using a manual focus rail or one of the fancy ones like the stack shot from cognysis? What software are using to merge the stack?

Question.

How in the heck do you guys get these things to stay in place for stacked images?

Usually sacked images require a dead subject. However I prefer live subjects whenever possible and will often anesthetize the insect with CO2 to put them to sleep long enough to set up the shot the way I want then simply wait for the moment they begin to wake then start firing.

Amazing! These seemed to be cropped pretty heavily, but still no grain! Nice job.

Question.

These are really great! Are you using a manual focus rail or one of the fancy ones like the stack shot from cognysis? What software are using to merge the stack?

I use the lens focus ring :p
I use Helicon Focus to stack and then export to LR and Photoshop.

Question.

Usually sacked images require a dead subject. However I prefer live subjects whenever possible and will often anesthetize the insect with CO2 to put them to sleep long enough to set up the shot the way I want then simply wait for the moment they begin to wake then start firing.

Yes, I am using dead flies.
Sometimes I catch them already dead, other times I put them on a glass and wait for them to die.

Cheers

Question.

Makes perfect sense. I was thinking, either these guys have the laziest flies in the world, or they're really good at finding intact dead flies.

What great photos! You must have a very steady hand, to get such great results with with a focus ring. :)

Question.

Makes perfect sense. I was thinking, either these guys have the laziest flies in the world, or they're really good at finding intact dead flies.
Some people get up really early and find insects which are half asleep (not me).

Question.

How do you use CO2 to anesthetize them?

BTW great photos, I really like the side on one. Do you not find your flash set up difficult where there is lots of vegetation?

What great photos! You must have a very steady hand, to get such great results with with a focus ring. :)
It takes a lot of patience and a steady tripod...

BTW great photos, I really like the side on one. Do you not find your flash set up difficult where there is lots of vegetation?
With a short lens like mine (40mm) it's very hard to hard to not hit the vegetation with the flash and diffuser :)

Cheers

With a short lens like mine (40mm) it's very hard to hard to not hit the vegetation with the flash and diffuser :)

Cheers
I thought that would be a problem. That is why I often have to use my pop up flash with canon 60mm.
This
IMG_9353landcrab by davholla2002, on Flickr

Would have been difficult with your rig as it was on the ground, and picking it up was NOT an option.

Yes, but with popup flash, without any kind of diffusion, you will get very hard light.
You can also use the flash off camera :)

Cheers

Most reactions

Back